Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Chips ????

Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Default Chips ????

Hello out there.

As a NEWBIE to the forums, I'm sure that I will have a few questions along the way.

We (wife & I) just purchased a 2003 F350 (not a dually) with a Triton V10. We have a Travel Trailer and the Ford really pulls from stop. Quite a surprise from the old 5.3L we used to have.

The truck was well maintained, clean and pretty. I think it is the ticket for the next 3 years of running around the country (both retired).

The dead stop performance is awesome. Just like everything in life, you trade something for something else. New to the truck and being aware of speed, I don't believe I will crack 10mpg on interstate roads.

I just started to research chips for top end economy.

The answer may be 'it is what it is' and there is no reasonable ($$$$$) fix.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I am not thin skinned and you can lay it on me. Also, I am not very technical in the automotive field.

Thanks, ImAfossil or the short version Fossil

Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 AM

Did you ever hear that saying, "The Older the Fiddle the Better It Plays" ?
Many times a big mistake is made underestimating years of knowledge and experience.
How do you feel about that?
If you can keep the speed within reason on the interstate, I have seen where the V10 obtained better mileage than the V8. A lot will depend on how and where you drive.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

My 05 S/D 6.0 runs the Diablo Predator at near 400HP in the tow mode (+65HP setting).

Usually tuners/chips will promote MPG gains, and 'may' if you don't tow heavy, or play and peddle pump with the new added HP. Meaning, may depend on the operator. The benefit usually is, that you get the HP gain without any 'loss' of MPG.. The SD's are shaped like a brick in the wind, and my best mileages are when I keep the speed below 60 or in that range. Running empty and a high cruise speeds tends to scrub of my best mileages..

Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Default Thanks

As of right now we are running South Bound on I95, from PA to FL.

It appears (I am still learning this truck) the sweet spot is around 58mph.

Kicking it up to 65 + the truck performs super towing around 7500 lbs, but I think I will come in around 7 to 8 mpg. The steering is tight at 65, jump up to low 70s and it does get lose.

This big guy wants to run. I am running pretty much on cruise conrol with very little downshifting out of OD at the higher speeds.

The tach is holding pretty steady, just a tad under 2000 at 65. It does drop close to 1500 rpms at 58 mph. If my math is right that should equal about 25%.

Maybe, just maybe I am answering my own questions.

fossil

Old 08-26-2013, 03:02 AM
Default Ooooooooops ! ! !

Hanky has it about right. For us gas costs, time is kinda' free ! ! !

This may be the best performance motor I have had since I was 17. I don't mean to be sacriligous, but it was a Chevy. My 1st car.

The 150 1957 Chevrolet Business Man's Black 2 door Special (cardboard back seats). Yes, it had the square engine 3 X 3 283 cubes, 2 quads, the Duntov Cam.

It got there quick with 4:56 gears, but petrol was -25 cents a gallon. I did not treat my 1st like a lady.

Time to drop back old guy and treat this v10 like a lady. BE GENTLE.

At 73 my days of smokin' the back tires are history, but a lil' bit of that lives on.

I know I am way off base in this forum, but I did cream a few Birds, but now I have jumped the fence. I evolved into one of them.

Be kind old guy, 'the good ole' days are jest beggin', but the challenge ; "meet you at the bridge in a couple", just enough time to slip on my cheater slicks. Damn synchronizer, that Blown 59' Fairlane(I think) just hammered me ! ! !----iT'S BEEN YEARS, but I think the pieces fit or they are real close.

No I did not have a pack of Lucky Strikes in my tee shirt rolled up sleeve, I wore white bucks and bemuda shorts and no Duck Tail---An anomoly ! !

fossil