Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Dies when you get up to highway speeds

Old 07-25-2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Thanks Eric,
Just goes to show you , you can't think of everything ! Very possibly a simple thing like the wrong fuel cap.
Sorry, been really busy lately.Thanks for your input.
I talked to myf father in law about the problem and he thought it was a vacuum issue. I sprayed starting fluid around the carb when the truck was running and it revved up. Rebuilt the carb and it runs and idles but it is missing on 2 cylinders since I changed the plugs. I changed the wires but it didn't help. I found 1 of the plugs to be fouled but haven't pulled the other. Can a plug foul if a wire isn't working?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 AM

Yes if the plug is not getting any voltage and thus no sparking it will foul.

A couple of thoughts on plugs.
They are not necessarily gapped correctly out of the box
The seat where the plug screws in HAS to be perfectly clean as that is where the ground connection occurs. If it is dirty then you get a poor electrical connection and thus poor spark,
Plug wires should be checked with a volt meter for resistance or by easing the wire off and holding near the block while the engine is running. You should get a nice crisp blue spark.
If your plugs have small screw on tops then they need to be quite tight as well. Champion plus used to use that arrangement. If the top ferrel is loose you get a poor electrical connection.
Regards,
Eric

Old 07-26-2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by eric hoffmeyer
Yes if the plug is not getting any voltage and thus no sparking it will foul.

A couple of thoughts on plugs.
They are not necessarily gapped correctly out of the box
The seat where the plug screws in HAS to be perfectly clean as that is where the ground connection occurs. If it is dirty then you get a poor electrical connection and thus poor spark,
Plug wires should be checked with a volt meter for resistance or by easing the wire off and holding near the block while the engine is running. You should get a nice crisp blue spark.
If your plugs have small screw on tops then they need to be quite tight as well. Champion plus used to use that arrangement. If the top ferrel is loose you get a poor electrical connection.
Regards,
Eric
I checked all that and it doesn't appear to be the problem. Cylinders 5 and 8 do not seam to fire. When I pulled the plug wires there is no change in idle. There did not seem to be a problem before I changed the plugs. Cylinders don't go bad that fast do they? I believe the next step would be a compression check or maybe put a timing light on?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Do an ohms meter (resistance) check on the wires
Look carefully at the towers in the distributor cap for any arcing marks.
If the inside of the distro (gosh does this truck HAVE a distributor) any scratches inside the cap are grounds for tossing it. Scratches will be tracks that the voltage will flow on versus getting to the spark plugs.