Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

The dreaded 18B402

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Default The dreaded 18B402

Well, the restoration continues on the "Beast" my 1997 F-250 HD. After doing a complete brake job from the vaccum booster back, rebuilding the entire front end, all new u-joints in every shaft, new exhaust manifolds, gaskets, bolts, and a helicoil or two, complete tune-up, oil & filters, etc, I've encountered a slight set back keeping me from moving the truck. It's called an 18B402. Every Ford has one and I'm hoping that this one is easier to replace than it looks. It's the steel tube on top of the thermostat housing that holds the sensor and supplys coolant to the heater box. Dealer cost is $141.95 plus tax, 2nd day delivery. E-Bay's cost $77.95 plus shipping and handling ($9.95) and 3 days ground shipping. (also from a Ford dealer in Texas) Hmmm. Anyways, if anyone has had any experience replacing one of these on a 5.8 EFI motor speak up, all help is welcome.

The dreaded 18B402-18b402.jpg

Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 PM

deja vu all over again...I broke the one on my '91 E350,and was told the part is now obsolete.If memory serves,I repaied it by drilling and tapping the top section,and used 1/2" steel pipe to make a new extension for it.Pretty sure it was 1/2",but coulda been 3/4"...yeah,and I broke the distriutor trying to remove it,too.That job was memorable.Rust and corrosion nightmare...You may be best served by the ebay route,although Ford Parts - Silver State Ford Parts might be another idea.They're genuine Ford parts at a good price.Another source might be RockAuto Auto Parts

Old 02-16-2012, 05:10 PM

I believe you could go to your local auto supply store and they or a more fully equipped auto store could come up with some fittings that will do the same thing as the damaged part you show. It appears the base thread is 3/8 pipe thread. They have all sorts of fittings that you can get to come pretty close to do what that damaged fitting does.
Take the entire fitting with you and they should be able to make one come pretty close.
There are even fittings made to connect the heater hose to. Don't laugh, a plumbing supply store may even be able to help you out.
The hardest part may be to find a fitting with the correct thread to accept the sensor and the auto store should have that fitting.
The size fitting that goes onto the engine could also be 1/4 pipe thread.

Last edited by hanky; 02-16-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Thanks Hanky, but the tube feeding the heater box extends under the throttle body and over the valve covers about 12 inches, so I'd rather not let a rubber hose laying in that area. (To tight to wire tie it up) And with the rust and corrosion I need to be REAL careful with the 1/4" coolant line that goes from that tube to the mouth of the throttle body its rather crusty too. So mousing it back together is out. Not to mention, the peace of mind knowing that repair is like new. Local Part Stores do carry various 18B402, which range from $17.95 and UP. But of coarse I have the UP one. The only replacement I can find is a Motorcraft KT-84, it's rather rare. (Google it) So I'm gonna wait for the UPS man deliver the right part.

All the factory parts numbers and prices for all models can be found on Fordparts.com

Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Hey Gary, Just took a look at Silver Stae Ford. Good site and good prices. Bookmarked it as a "favorite" for future purchase. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM

yep...only thing to consider is shipping from NV....guys are helpful though.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 AM

In just looking at the pix you posted, and never having had to replace one of those fittings, looks like your work is cut out for you. That as why I suggested installing fittings that you could install one at a time to make the pieces go where you wanted without too much trouble. Rerouting a piece of silicone hose from the fitting nib to the terminal point at the throttle body done neatly will be as good or better than the original. The heat won't bother the silicone hose as long as it doesn't actually make contact with the exhaust parts.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 AM

From what I understand, this is a 2 piece tube. You first screw the base of the tube into the intake manifold. This piece is a pipe thread by flare adapter. Then you snake your heater core tube past your intake and attach it to the flare fitting, and re-assemble everything else. Sounds easier than it is, I'm sure.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 AM

I haven't seen the latest replacement parts, but from what you describe it shouldn't be too much of a problem to replace. Will you let us know how you make out with it?

Old 02-18-2012, 04:06 PM

Well Hanky, here's that $141.76 part from Motorcraft. Found it online for $87.02 including shipping. Amazing! There's nothing to it. I was told that its a two piece tube, but my informant was wrong. Scary! He's a Certified Ford Tech too. Anyways, it appears to just slip into the opening on the intake manifold. There are no threads, only 3 "o" rings. So I'm assuming that the bracket is suppose to keep this thing in place. I don't know, but I will know better tomorrow when I install it.

Attached Thumbnails The dreaded 18B402-18b402a.jpg  

Quick Reply: The dreaded 18B402