Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

durability

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Default durability

Hey, I am new to this forum and am looking for info about any 2003 F250 4X4 5.4L . I have owned mine since new and at @38000 miles I had to replace front rotors and pads and all four shocks. Then at @ 42000 replaced driver side ball joints. I have @64000 miles and have an oil leak from a head gasket, so my dealer tells me and they are working on it right now. I have always thoght they were built Ford tough???? Prior to the oil leak from the head, I thought it was the rear main seal, so I tackled that repair myself. One last question, is 10-13 MPH the best they get......

Old 03-30-2009, 06:30 PM

Unfortunately, 10-13 is abbout right for the 5.4 in such a hevy truck. The V10 gets near tha same mileage but has a HP and TQ edge over the 5.4. The ball-joints are normal, they wear out fairly quick compared to other vehicles. I have personally replaced them twice on my truck and it has 151k on it. If you want to get ones that last longer, buy MOOG greaseable ones from napa or online. The brakes mileage could be correct depending on what you do with the truck and just the sheer weight of the vehicle.

The other problems are strange as head gasket failures on any modular motor are far and few between.