Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

F 250 W/ 351w running rich

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Default F 250 W/ 351w running rich

I have a 89 f 250 running rich it need a tun up so i replaced plugs plug wires cap and rotor and coil in the process vacum lines started breaking so i replaced 90% of them. I checke the plugs after a test drive and them were starting to foul to much gas I checked fuel pressure got 40 psi When I replaced the vacum line to the fuel pressure regulator i suckedon the line and got a good taste of gas from it. Could it be bad?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 PM

If you have raw gas in the vacume line going to the pressure regulator then it's bad replace it and your problem should be solved

Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM

Thank you grindman. All I got was a taste of vapor but i replaced it anyway. Still hasnt helped. I read the codes and got 23throttle positioner out ot test range, and 31 egr positioner sensorbelow minimum voltage. So in Hanes book it said tps might cause the egr problem so i replaced the tps. Tryed to fire it up and no spark. I did all the tests and according to them the ignition control modual on the side of the dist. had a bad transistor. ok I replaced it now I have spark again down to the spark plugs still wont start yes I rotated the dist slowly still wont start checked fuel pressure again 40 psi. I am going to clean all the plugs and try to start it again. I feel like I am idiot. I usually dont have this much problems fixing it. Any ideas would be great . When i get it going ill post back what i did. Thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM

Well i pulled the plugs a cpl were covered in carbon a cpl were showing normal wear and two didnt look like they were brand new. i just replaced them two weeks ago.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM

it might be possible that you have a couple of bad injectors they might be stuck open therefore letting too much gas get in the cylinders and making it run way too rich. I don't like any engine that is fuel injected for one simple fact and that is If it takes the control away from me and relies on some stupid control module and it goes wrong then you're stuck replacing parts that really don't need it it gets way too expensive to play guessing games with it. the last truck I had that was fuel injected it wouldn't run no matter what I did to try and start it I burned up two starter motors and replaced everything I could think of to no avail. I will ask Hanky if he might know something that I don't providing he might be reading this thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:55 PM

A couple of things come to my little mind. The first one is, are you sure you replaced the plug wires in the correct firing order? Then the second is the right direction of rotation of the firing order on the dist cap. Even those of us with experience take things like this for granted and forget the basics. Something to think about, if the truck ran before there is really no need to move the distributor position unless you are changing the dist or had to move it to do a procedure. You will eventually need a timing light to get it in the right place. Grindman has been through the mill on these and even he forgot to ask about the basics. We assume the person at the other end did all the correct things, but the only way to know for sure is to ask and remind them. We are anxious to hear if this could be part of the problem.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Ill check the fireing order on monday I at at work for the weekend. but i learned the hard way only change one spark plug wire at a time. yes i timed it a cpl times. And made sure the mark was right one the ten degree mark and took the spout conecter out when I timed it and the put it back in. Double checked the chalk mark on the balancer. Ill let you know when I find out anything else and thanks for the help

Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 AM

If you have a lazy O2 sensor it could produce a rich mixture problem, but not in only certain cyls. If all the plugs are heavy with carbon , it is something to check.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM

Thanks, Hanky. just remember I didn't forget the basics I just hate these fuel injected engines, that's why I don't have one any more. What I have now is almost as old as I am and have it running like a new one. at least if this one screws up I can fix it without help from y'all because I have the experience of building so many of them that I pretty much know them from bumper to bumper.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

I can remember when front wheel drive vehicles came out and you had to do different things to get the trans out, and I'm sure many other guys/gals thought the same thing and that was, is it time to change my field ? This is an ever changing vocation and those who don't move ahead with it will fall behind. And believe me , I know how hard it was to play catch up ,but if you stay with it , it's fun at least for me.Come on Grindman fuel injection is not that bad and there is a lot of help available, so come on and help us all out, what do you say?

Quick Reply: F 250 W/ 351w running rich