Ford Enthusiast Unofficial Resource

Go Back   Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Ford Trucks, Ford Vans & Ford SUV's > Ford F-250 & Ford F-350
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Ford Forum!
Welcome to Ford Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 AM

Default F250 6.0 diesel 2005

I am currently considering purchasing a 2005 F250 6.0 diesel 4x4. Is there anyone out there that can give me some pointers on what to watch out for? do these vehicles have any problems I should be aware of?

would really appreciate hearing from you ...asap!
Niki
Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Ford F-250
My Garage

Hi Niki..

How many miles? Any existing warranty would be a big plus.. Any prior service records/docs included with the truck?

First thing you might want to do is have your local Ford store run an 'Oasis Report' off of the trucks VIN number.. It'll give a history of work done 'both' in repairs, and warranty done at the 'dealer level'.. If you don't have one local, email me your VIN and I'll have the report run..

The 6.0 has a bit of a reputation as a problematic power plant, and their a high tech/complex diesel and something to consider in a purchase.. Mine has been trouble free @ 75K now and gets used reasonably hard towing, but many haven't been so lucky.. The S/D is an awesome build truck IMO, and the 6.0 is great for heavy towing/hauling, but can be more expensive overall in repairs and maintenance over a gas powered unit.. Some may say 'no way' to a 6.0, but I've seen many run'n hard with no problems, but also have been witness to those that have not.. Not that other manufactures haven't had issues either..

The 6.0 has had a lot of issues bleeding oil.. Most are just annoyances as a hanging drip.. A quick look under the truck at the lower bell housing area and along the oil pan/bed plate may reveal any possible leak points, and tend to collect on the lower bell housing.. Head gasket can be an issue (more so depending on how the truck was used, or if a programmer/tuner was used to add more HP to the engine..

I'd try and get some history on the truck, look for any leaks top to bottom, and look the truck over as close as possible to get an idea of how it spent it's 'previous' service life.. Any larger exhaust added, gauges, lifted, and fifth wheel hitch (on or removed) ect. and match what you find to the oasis and service docs to get you best bet on a 6.0.

Would I buy another? Sure,, I love mine, and it's like a 8K lexus even pulling my tractor.. But also with the possibilty of future repairs/higher maintenance costs (especially if out of warranty) and depending on what I saw and found on both the truck and with a reporting or supporting docs as an informed decision tool for a purchase..

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-30-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:36 PM

These engines nearly put ford out of buisness due to warranty claims. I would definetly get an Oasis done and see if the truck is either a buyback or has had any EGR cooler or head gasket work done.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a "new age" diesel. The technology isn't there yet to make them reliable. I had a '05 6.0L truck that Ford took back under the lemon law for headgasket and EGR cooler failures.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM

What is a good price for a F250 Diesel 100,000 miles great shape 2 Dr with two that open
backwards 2005 with banks modual
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM

05 f-250 6.0. Mine has intermittent problem after a few miles at stops it loads up and blows black smoke then clears up runs like a knock any ideas. I was told add ATF to fuel and it cleans it up after a few miles but new fuel starts again
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Tags
2003, 2005, 350, 60, cost, diesel, f250, ford, forum, gaskets, head, issue, maintenance, oasis, report