Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Ist post

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Default Ist post

Figured Id break the bottle of champagne on this forum. Anyone out there familiar with the FE's? I got one oil smoking outta the breathers. Just got this truck a couple months ago, and this just started after fixing a line of other problems. Ive rebuilt carb, set timing, fixed a couple vacuum leaks, it was only running with the choke closed, and would die out, I think it was one of my vacuum leaks. What sucks is that now I got it starting right, and seems like its running good going down the road, but when you give it gas going down the highway, Itll fill the cab up with oily smoke. Any suggestions, and I know it could be rings, (how do I check that) but its a recent thing, and it hasnt been run hard or anything (YET!)

Old 01-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Default RE: Ist post

you can check if your rings are still o.k. by testing the compression, which is done by removing one plug at a time and ######## a compression tester in its place, then you turn it over a few times(with the rest of the plug wires disconnected of course) and compare your results to the factory tollerances.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
PS if it isn't your compression it could be your head gasket if the smoke is white(usually means water) but if the smoke is black its prob your rings. and keep an eye on your oil.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 PM

Its best done with all the plugs removed. (compression test that is)
What year and motor is it?
Is the smoke coming from out of the exhaust or is it coming into the cab from the engine compartment?

Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 AM

check the PCV valve it might not be the entire problem but it sounds like a big part of it to me