Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Flywheel/flexplate install question/price ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Default Flywheel/flexplate install question/price ?

Hi

I have a 03 f250 super dute 4x4 5.4 engine--- Its been eating up starters, so I spun the flywheel(Thanks Hanky !) and see the teeth are gone in one section.

My questions are:

1) Does this truck use a flywheel or flexplate ? Does it bolt to the torque converter?

2) Can someone tell me what it should run me to get it fixed. Gonna try a local tranny shop, but wanna have a ballpark. I went to see an old tranny guy I know but he retired. He said around $300 but he said he might be giving me an older prices.

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

An automatic will have a flexplate, manuals have a flywheel.

Flexplate is a replacement part (OEM about 90.00) aftermarket can be found for less. A flywheel can have the starter gear replaced rather than a complete flywheel replacement.

Flexplate does bolt to the crank 'and' torque converter. Flywheel, only to the crank.

A 4x4 is a little harder to pull the unit back/out to replace the flywheel/Flexplate. Manual and automatic prices/labor times vary a little. Doublt in todays market, and current shop rates you'd find a shop that would do the job for 300.00 including the parts. Some hungry mechanics out there though :/ Shop around for the best rate, would help if you have the part so not to be caught paying retail price on the parts as well as shop labor. Labor rates at most shops are going to vary quite a bit, but find/use one your familiar with and trust. If your truck is a manual trans, and higher mileage it may be the time to do a clutch replacement as well that would certainly change the costs/parts involved.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 PM

Hey Hayapower,

Thanks for the reply.

Its an automatic with 4x4.

I saw the tranny guy today. He said $500 labor cause its 4x4. Said if it was 2 wheel drive it would be $350. He said if i wanted to change the seals, tranny fluid and filter, he would do that too included in the $500. I supply the flexplate too.

I went to Advance Auto and ordered the flexplate today -- $68.00.

I asked how many quarts should the tranny take, they said 17.7 quarts ? Is that right ? Sound like a lotttt to me.

What do you think price wise ? And should I bother chaninging the seals/fluid/filter ?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles on the truck?

Price isn't bad. My guess given the price quote is, he 'may' be going to just drop the pan, and empty/dump the contents of the converter while the trans is out. (no converter drain plug on the later models) The front pump seal gets replaced with the converter out. Not a complete flush/exchange included, correct? If he's going to replace the flexplate, reseal the front pump, flush the system complete, price sounds even better Seals... does it have a seal leak now, or is he doing the front pump seal as a precaution? Front pump seal can be a problem sometimes as leak point where they can puke lube when worked hard/heated,, more so if higher mileage and towing heavy ect. "Seals" meaning just the front pump?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 PM

About 240k miles on the truck -- replacement motor but I think original tranny but not sure.

I don't know about the other stuff you asked. He just asked me did I wanna replace the seals (front and rear on the tranny) while it was out.

And said he would "service the tranny" if I wanted to grab a case of fluid and the filter. He didn't go into wether he would flush it or anything.

I'm supplying the flexplate, seals, fliud etc -- if I want that stuff done. $500 was labor.

I just talked to another guy he said $375 for the flaxplate install but didn't go into anything else.

I don't have any leaks as of now. Coolant leak which I need to replace a freeze plug but no oil or tranny leaks (knock on wood !)

Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trans normal service intervals are 30K, 15K for severe service.

If it hasn't been done in quite a while it may be a benifit to have it done, or if you haven't owned it long (?) may be just good insurance if no service records.

Sometimes replacement transmissions will be painted, gray, silver ect. Someone building an original unit may have just cleaned the case. Ford reman. units usually have a Renewed sticker visable on the upper bell housing, and a ID plate change.

If it is an orginal, high mileage trans, I'd change the torque converter seal out while the unit is out. If it were to leak at some point, the unit would have to come back out..

Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 AM

I've had it a couple years now. I've never done any trans work/fluids. Honeslty I've never in any vehicle I've ever owned. I didn't know you had to change fluids. I just figured if its low -- add some.

I have no records at all. Since I've owned it. I've put maybe 20,000 Miles or so.

How bout the number of quarts, is that 17.7 correct ? I don't anything about trannys but I'd figure 6 quarts or so like oil -- but I dont know. Is the Torque Conv. seal the front main seal on the tranny, or a different seal in the T.C.?

Thanks

Last edited by F250SUPERDUTYDUDE; 01-07-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Between the trans/pan, the converter, and the trans cooler, thats roughly the volume of fluid needed to flush/exchange the lube. The volume number he's giving you is a dry fill amount, but given trans cooler volume/s and cooling lines can vary the amount 'some' as well as lube left in the valve body and such. All the larger automatic transmissions hold a fair amount of lube oil.

I'd look into buying 2 full cases of MerconV and use the left over oil to service the transfer case at some point if it hasn't been done. Same lube oil in the T case, and have a bit leftover as backup if needed. Plus, usually you save a little cash buying at case prices, or should...

Torque converter seal is considered the front trans seal. It installs into the nose/center of the front pump.

Although the front pump 'install' consists of a large pump sealing gasket, and a large oring around the pump case that seals to the trans case. Not normally serviced unless proven to leak....

Last edited by Hayapower; 01-07-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM

How many hours should this job take ? Just replacing the flexplate ? Not the fluid/filter/seals ? One guy told me 6 hours.

I picked up the flexplate from Advance Auto today --- its a ATP but it says made in china. Think it will be ok ? I don't really like made in china products.

How many quarts in a case ? 12? I tried to buy a case from Advance but they didnt have any. You mean the transfer case for the 4x4? Is that an easy service ? Maybe I can do that myself. I'm good auto wise --- I just dont have a lift or I'd attempt this flexplate myself.

The guy told me to get good seals -- how do I know whats a good seal ? lol

Thanks
A

Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM

for what you're getting into there,I would use FORD parts...you may otherwise experience premature parts failure,leaks,starter problems.Cheap ain't worth it here.I missed seeing what year truck you have,so I don't know what transmission you might have.This time of year in the Great Northeast(?),Id take it to areliable transmission shop,unles you have a friend witha a heated garage,lift,and transmission jack...

Quick Reply: Flywheel/flexplate install question/price ?