Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Front axle seal on outside of axles loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Default Front axle seal on outside of axles loose

I have a 2006 F350 CC short bed 4x4 diesel. The problem I have is on either side of the front axle, if you turn the wheel so you can see inside the hub and axle there is this ring that looks like it is a seal that seals the axle tube. Another friend of mine, his truck is doing the same thing. Is it just a dust sheild or what. Its not leaking anything but when I take it to the u washing place and spray water inthere to clean the salt off the axle and stuff the seal jumps around on the axle. like it is not seated in the tube. Any know what it is or if it is broke or what. Thanks

Old 03-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

The axle tube dust seal is a very common failure.. The seal is thin in the area that usually lets go, and the thicker outer lip portion of the seal just 'tumbles' around the axle yoke.. When the axle is inserted, the dust seal lip is forced against the axle tube face holding seal 'tension' from the slightly folded/rolled in thin area.. Some fail with time, others quicker with the combination of age and 4x4 hard service.. They tend to collect dirt/debris behind the seal and the lube dries up or is washed out causing the seal to drag aiding to the failure.. The dust seal is to keep most of the trash out of the axle tube, and the gear lube is held back with an inner axle seal inside the gear housing.. Would certainly be better to have the seal intact, more so if you do serious/severe off road.. For most it isn't an issue, (or noticed) until time to reseal the front, or during ball joint replacement ect.. An option might be to cut the old seal out, and fabricate a split type seal to take up the gap to help keep the trash out until you have to remove the axles.. Or, just repalce them if it's a concern.. Here's the same topic from earlier posts, and a pic of one I just did Look familiar...

https://www.fordforum.com/forum/show...3574#post43574

Attached Thumbnails Front axle seal on outside of axles loose-dscf0014.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I have some time, how hard is it to get to this. What is involved to do, have machanical knowledge, I just havent looked under it to see how big of a job it is. Do I need any spcial tool, parts...etc. By the way that for the info Hayapower...awsome.

I love my truck!!! Ford's are the best!!! As I always say to the others, "You have to fix a good thing once in a while!!!"

Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Exclamation 2006 Ford F-250 axle seal

Hey...I'm new to this site and It looks very informative! I was rotating my tires this morning on my super duty and had noticed that my dust seal is blown out on the passenger side, thats what lead me to this site...wow! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm planning on hanging a 8' western snow plow on it and pushing snow.....should I change it, or let it go, It's not leaking...I just don't want problems down the road....opinions please!

Thanks Mike