Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

help with powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Default help with powerstroke

Hi, am new to this forum. I have a 99 ford f-250, powerstroke, will not start easily, when does start, will run 4-5 min and die, and will not restart till next day. have done the following,

changed cam position sensor
checked and filled oil resorvoir for fuel pump
checked and is working the electric pump on frame to lift fuel
taken battery cables off over night to try and clear codes
service engine soon light stays on all the time

i used a small code reader and it did not tell me anything, may not of been able to read the diesel motor.

any ideas where i go next?

thanks guys,

idaho dry farmer

Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Without the code/s and being able to look at the system PIDS it's kinda shoot'n in the dark.

Couple questions tho,,,

1.How many miles on the clock?
2. When it does start, does it run good? All 8?, and 'smooth' accelleration on a throttle snap?
3. When it starts to die, does it just shut off?, or does it stumble/ mis fire, cackle/knock like its running out of fuel?
4. On the restart, any symtoms?? like excess smoke, rattle, and about how long cranking time for the engine to fire?

The power strokes need a minimum of 100RPM during cranking to start, it can't fall below minimum speed during extended cranking times,, 500lbs of HPO (high pressure oil) just to fire, and a good supplied tach signal from the cam sensor for the IDM to fire the injectors, as well as a good fuel pressure/volume.

If you told me it was just dieing after running for 4-5 minutes and had a poor throttle under load during that time, I'd say fuel delivery.. Two places to check on the PS's is obviously the fuel filter and the one that gets overlooked is,, the micro filters built into the fuel module inside the tank.. Can't rule out the fuel pump either without checking pressure/volume even if the pump is running.

They like to plug/restrict the micro filter with age and usually higher mileages (more so with fuel quality) but generally affect performance under moderate/heavy loads unless 'full' of trash.

When it dies, as a quick/crude test, reach around the back of the fuel/water seperator and move the fuel drain lever over. (Do it outside ect if possible, it will loose some fuel) Does it 'blow' fuel out of the drain tube on the right front side of the engine? Or very little to no fuel expelled?

I'd suspect fuel delivery, HPO, IPR, HPOP . At least thats what I'd check first.. If you could get codes it would be a huge help..

Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 PM

I totally agree. But if you could get access to a parameter scanner, I would monitor High press. oil until it stalls, just to make sure that this isn't a sticking IPR.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, very well could be..

Also, you mentioned oil level, make sure and check the HPOP reservoir 'after' the stall. A low pressure pump can starve the HPOP and cause a stall.
Just another possibility

Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM

One of many possible concerns...