Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

need help 99 f250 7.3L need to get running

Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Default need help 99 f250 7.3L need to get running

hey guys hows it going
im a diesel mechanic, i ve worked on anything and everything , just no one seems to have the right answers about my problem and the dealer aint worth there two cents,lol
im wondering if u can assit me wit a problem with my 99 f250 7.3l dit 150,000mi

ive had rough running problems for a few weeks then it ran fine, then about 4 days ago its started spiting and running rough then stalled, could not get to fire unless it sat for about 20min, and it would only run rough and no power

went to dealer and put new cps sensor in it, (it was under recall) still wouldnt start so we hooked up the computer and started cheching systems and elimanating thing, i found a broken harness at my right side valve cover and replaced in, cleared all the codes and it fired right up ran awsome, and as i pulled out onto the street it stalled, i got it runnung again but it was rough, we rescanned it and got codes for #1 and #2 injectors not connected, i could move the truck but at very little power, so i had it towed home and started checking the pcm,imd and all sensor wiring and plugs, ive done all the resistance and voltage test between the idm and pcm circuits,

i have a few idm codes about a year ago, the engine light woul come on and the truck would have reduced power, id pull over and clear the codes and the truck would run fine then it happened about 5 months later while off roading i was in first gear crawling over rocks and stuff at high rpm and the code can back a few time, took about 4 times to clear it 4 good and its been good till about a few weeks ago

at the dealer we checked all the hpop pressures and % as well as the ipr system all are good

i can start it about everyfew hours it runs rough and will only stay running about 2-3minutes and stalls,

im pretty sure its the injector driver module, but as they r pricy i thought id see if u guys have any ideas,

thx for the help, and if i can hepl u with anything dont be afarid to ask

thx matt
london ontario canada

i need to get this thing running asap at i have to use my truck for work everyday right now so im not working till it gets fixed
thx

Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site BRM..

Certainly could be an IDM Module/circuits,, did you run an injector buzz test during a rough condition or stall? Might help with proving out the driver before replacement, and the circuits if intermittent.. What were the codes stored?.

Given the mileage,, one thing that comes to mind is the internal fuel filters built into the tank fuel module.. Run a fuel pressure/volume test yet? They'll plug over time and can/will make for an intermittent flat throttle or complete stall, or general poor performance when higher fuel demands are needed..

If the engine stalls due to lack of fuel it can set an IDM code.. Depends on what codes your reading though..

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM

ya we did an injector buzz test at the dealer all were fine, after we replaced the cps and the right side injector/glowplug harness it ran great, i put it to the rug a few times lots of power no misses or sputtering,

im gonna check my icp sensor itself visually, cuz when we had the laptop on it all the duty cycles and psi ratings were great, i took out my idm and its really corrodided on the out side bad so im thinking it might be just as bad inside too, ive done almost everytest i can think of

thx again
matt

Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 PM

the laptop said the fuel pump was pushing 60psi +