Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Need help choosing between three trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Default Need help choosing between three trucks

I am interested in 3 trucks. I can't make up my mind so I thought maybe I could get a little help. The trucks won't be doing anything out of the ordinary. So towing or hauling doesn't have anything to do with the decision. Two do have plows, which aren't needed but are a plus. They are all autos unfortunately. They are all standard cabs also. The first one is a 97 F350 powerstroke with 93,000 miles. It has a little rust around the wheel wells and the rockers. It comes with a v-plow, one of those see through types. The price is 6k. Next is a 99 F250 V-10 with 89,000 miles. It comes with a 8.5' straight plow. The price is 6k. Last is a 2001 F250 with off road package. It has the 5.4 and has 104,000 miles. The price is 6.5k.
The reason I am asking opinions is because I have heard of issues with all of them.
The powerstroke doesn't seem to have any major issues. I like the fact it should outlast the other motors, however parts and maintenance will be more expensive.
I have read that the 99 V-10 had issues with piston slap and blowing spark plugs out of the heads. I don't really like the idea of those issues.
I have heard that the 5.4 is underpowered for the F250 and people regret the smaller motor.
Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Other than the rust issues, I'd be look'n at the 7.3

The PS's aren't all that expensive to service, no S plug issues, and would kill the 6.8 in mileage, more so push'n or haul'n hard. 5.4,, underpowered (?), well depends on what your doing with it. Plow'n, heavy towing? go with the 10 or 7.3.. A later SD 7.3 would be a better bet, more inprovements and power.. E4/4R trans may be an area to check too, and again if used for severe duty may be a concern. Any service records included, reman?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 AM

I agree100% with Hayapower. The 7.3 is a reliable workhorse that will outperform the other two in mileage and performance, however the older 7.3s can be a little noisy and have a dirty exhaust as compared to a newer 7.3. Good maintenance should get you a lot of service even from a 97. A lot will depend on where you live and how close you are to other homes too. If in close quarters, neighbors may find the diesel noisy and smelly.
The gas mileage for a 5.4 is not that great and believe it or not the 6.8 gets slightly better mileage than the 5.4. If you are considering using the plow, the diesel is from my own experience, a better choice.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Hayapower I don't plan on doing any heavy hauling or pushing. I just want a truck that is built tough and will last awhile. No service records that I am aware of. The motor isn't a reman that I am aware of. The truck only has 93,000 miles on it, or did I miss what you were asking?
Hanky, I live in the sticks noise and smell isn't an issue. The cold is though as I am in northern WI.
Can either of you tell me how good of a cold starting motor the 7.3 is? I obviously know it isn't go start below zero without being plugged in. I use to have a GM 6.2 though and that had to be plugged in anytime it got below 40. That was kind of a pain.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 AM

The 7.3s have a glow plug system that can usually handle some pretty cold temps.It still would help if it were plugged in . If you decide to consider the 7.3 it would be a good move to have the glowplugs and relay system gone over so cold weather problems won't bother you.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

My question about 'reman.' was directed towards the trans. If it's prior life was a lot of pushing or heavy or severe use, the trans may be a weak link for all the trucks, more so for E4's..

Hanky makes a good point on the noise and diesel aroma. Personally,, my feeling is,, if it don't rattle, it ain't a truck Colder temps will affect warm up noise, but not terrible.

The 7.3 is a hands down better diesel than the 6.2!! Like Hanky said, the 7.3 will handle pretty cool start temps, as long as the glow system doesn't have any problems. The UVC (valve cover connectors and harness/s) had some problems with melting and dropping out portions of the glow control/plugs, and relays as he noted. Not to cause concern, but something that needs to be 100% functional for a cold area.. Plugging in will/would help with colder start ups, quicker warm up time, noise, and generally 'easier' on the engine.

The 7.3's higher cost to maintain, would easily be offset by the higher cost of fuel for either of the Tritons..

Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Another thought or point on making an engine choice may be commute or normal driving distances. Say,, you work 1-2 miles from your home, store etc, then a diesel may not warm up completely during short runs in cold temps. Normal heating cycles/temps should be met when possible, and the 7.3 likes to work but may be part of a desition in a power plant depending on location and use...

Old 11-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Good points, thanks guys. I do only live about 3 miles from work. What do you guys think about the V10? Does it really have the problems that some say?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 AM

Sorry to but in, but I personally would suggest going with the powerstroke. The v 10 is only good for getting the gas out of your tank in a hurry. And you wont have nearly as many options as far as spur of the moment towing/hauling with the Triton.