Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

New

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Default New

I'm obviously new here. Thinking about getting a used 04 F-250 (Harley) version w/ 6.0. What should I look for, into. What are common problems with the 6.0. Does Ford cancell warranty if power upgrades were done...blah blah blah.

Last edited by websterdan; 04-27-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 PM

So, there's that many. Can't list them all???
Should I just keep the Dodge 3500.
I'M NOT A POSER. Before I buy a vehicle I like to do some research.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

First thing to do would be to have your local Ford store run a Oasis Report on the VIN.. They should supply the report at no cost. It'll give you the history of any warranty repairs and updates/recalls done on the truck, but will only be work done by Ford.. The 6.0 does have some 'history' as you suspect, but can be made worse with add on power, or if not cared for and/or used under severe conditions including towing/hauling.. My 05 6.0 has run just under 400HP since almost new and hasn't had any problems with 100K on the clock presently.. I've towed with the truck at close to capacity as well. Oil leaks tend to plege the 6.0 (good place to first check) and at times head gaskets, EGR coolers, EGR, injectors, VGT turbo, high pressure oil leaks and so on.. External oil leaks maybe being the most problematic..

If the truck has been cared for with 'regular' interval services, shows a good oasis, and has been inspected for any leaks including any at the degas bottle, then the best you can do with any high tech diesel or 6.0 is an educated choice..

Ford can't cancel a warranty, BUT they can deny a repair if they can prove the failure was caused by building power or high perforrmance parts, or any other add on equipment that can cause a part or component to fail including chassis changes, electrical ect..

Most come to forums for help with issues, and the 6.0 certainly has been a topic! but not all owners trucks have been problematic, and really isn't a perfect indicator of the total number of 6.0's that have performed well, even as mine..

I would have no problem with another 6.0, but looking it over well and getting as much history as possible, as well as having it checked out if your not able or concerned about it's care and condition prior to a purchase..

You will find owners that have been disapointed and the numbers are usually greater with the earlier MY's, many that aren't..