Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

New to Fords 1992 Ford F350 7.3l

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Default New to Fords 1992 Ford F350 7.3l

I just bought this 1992 Ford F350 7.3l crew cab dually, anything i should know about these trucks? It has an ATS aftermarket Turbo, and 107k with a rebuilt transmission. I have included pictures, I just drove it home about 60 miles and it seems to drive perfect. Just wondering if anyone has any general advice for me about these specific trucks.

Attached Thumbnails New to Fords 1992 Ford F350 7.3l-sp32-20100527-123211.jpg   New to Fords 1992 Ford F350 7.3l-sp32-20100527-123158.jpg   New to Fords 1992 Ford F350 7.3l-sp32-20100527-123240.jpg   New to Fords 1992 Ford F350 7.3l-sp32-20100527-123229.jpg  
Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 PM

It's a good truck. Have worked on several, very dependable, just service regularly and it will perform well for you.
h

Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 PM

Hi, I have a 1992 Ford F-350 5.8 commercial box truck. It's been seating for approx. 3 yrs. I drained the two fuel tanks cause gas smell bad. Put In fresh gas but I get no fuel rail fuel presser reading. fuel Is not pumping to Injectors. Trying to find the fuel pump relay but can't find It's location, To see If relay Is good or bad.

Would appreciate If anyone can point me to the location.

Thank you..

Old 07-01-2011, 08:04 PM

...the fuel pump is located on the L inboard side rail,approximately under the driver's seat....sometimes the blade terminal ends beneath the boots,become loose.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gary2Wheels
...the fuel pump is located on the L inboard side rail,approximately under the driver's seat....sometimes the blade terminal ends beneath the boots,become loose.

Thank you for your response.

Is that under the seat Itself? Or do you mean on the bottom of the truck directly under the seat?

And Is that the fuel pump? or fuel pump relay?

And again, Thank you..

Old 07-03-2011, 05:06 PM

In addition to what has already been suggested,
You might check the inertia switch to confirm that it is closed.
It is located on the passenger side kick panel in the cab, just reach over the plastic covering and you should feel the switch pocket and button.
I believe the fuel pump relay is located on the passenger side under the hood in the engine compartment just behind where the battery is located at the firewall.. The fuel pump and EEC relay were both the same part # and were interchangable. When you first turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds. The ECA ( Computer-/ )controls this. If you don't hear anything , check all the fuses before you do anything else. It could save you some time.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by leemar
Thank you for your response.

Is that under the seat Itself? Or do you mean on the bottom of the truck directly under the seat?

And Is that the fuel pump? or fuel pump relay?

And again, Thank you..
The pump itself,mounts beneath the floor pan,and up onto the inside of the frame rail.The eletrical wiring can get funky,as it did on mine.After cleaning the connectiions,it runs fine.I believe that the fuel pump relay is accessed behind the passengers side kick panel.It's designed to turn off the fuel supply in case of sudden impact,and must be reset manually.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Hi, I really want to thank you people for ALL your help.

I check the inertia switch, I assume that the inertia switch should be on the down position. There Is a RED bottom on the inertia switch when I pull It up, a light comes on the dash that reads FUEL RESET. When I push the inertia switch down the light on the dash goes out, Is that the position It should stay In?

Anyway the truck failed to start no matter If the inertia switch was UP or DOWN.

But I did get a little bit of fuel on the fuel rail valve, But very little to no presser when valve on fuel rail Is depress.

If this truck was sitting for three years or better Is It possible that the fuel filter could be clogged?

Also I could not find the fuel pump. Could It be In the fuel tanks, cause there are two fuel tanks.

Or can you point me to the exact location of the fuel pump.

And again, Thank you..

Old 07-04-2011, 07:04 PM

I don't recall any red button on the inertia switch that you could move to obtain any other mode other than on or off. If the button is all the way down , where it normally should be, you can give the area adjacent to the switch a sharp rap with your hand and you should hear the ball inside the switch roll down and open the switch contacts. Then just press the button down to the on position and it should stay there unless the vehicle receives a sharp jolt and the switch trips to shut off the electrical supply to the fuel pump relay.
There is a fuel pump in each tank. The switch on the dash should tell you which tank you are pulling from. In a post as previously stated, there is a high pressure fuel pump located under the vehicle inside the left frame rail just about in the area around the driver's side seat maybe forward a few inches ,but it's there!
Did you hear the fuel pump run when you first turned the key on? It should run for approximately 2 seconds. You need to know this before you can go any further checking for a no-start problem.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Thank you.. If I spray the Intake with start-up fluid, It starts. But It's not getting any fuel to the Injector's rail. Do you think that the fuel filter could be CLOGGED? And not allowing fuel to get through.

This truck sat for approx. 2-4 years could the filter be GUM up?

TY.

Quick Reply: New to Fords 1992 Ford F350 7.3l