Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

should i keep it?

Old 10-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Default should i keep it?

I have a 1997 E350 v 10 with 195,000 miles that runs fine but is getting old.
I bought it with 160,000 miles and have changed all brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, and alternator.
Mechanic says I should have the ball joints changed soon. Upper and lower, cost $1000
If I can keep it going for $1000 (maybe a bit more) a year, I would love to keep it.
I really don't want to buy another vehicle for big bucks.
Should I keep putting money into this beast or save it for a new one?

Old 10-30-2015, 02:21 AM

Get another estimate for replacing those ball joints.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Get another estimate for replacing those ball joints.
I have gotten 3. ranging from $1100 to $800. The higher one included the steering arm and upper and lower.
I guess my question is: how much will it take to keep this thing going? I know there are others like it that have 400,000 miles but if it takes $5000 a year, I should probably by a newer one.
It is my work truck and I do about 25,000 miles a year

Old 10-30-2015, 10:51 AM

Unless there is a definite problem with the steering arm it is not necessary to replace it. It just makes it easier for the shop to replace the whole thing compared to replacing just the ball joints. In either case a front end alignment is required if the job is done right.
You know your vehicle better than anyone else and as to whether it is better to keep it or trade it is up to you based on what you know about the truck and past maintenance.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:19 PM

What evaluation was done to indicate the ball joints are in need of replacement?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by eric hoffmeyer
What evaluation was done to indicate the ball joints are in need of replacement?
I took it to the alignment shop because it was pulling to the right and had slifht steering vibration. they said it needed to have the upper, lower ball joints and steering arm replaced. Lots of play in the front wheels when it was on the stand. I took it to my usual shop and they said just the lowers needed to be done but they could do both uppers and lowees for $150 more. Prices include alignment.
This is my first work truck so I'm knew to big vehicles. How much do you guys spend a year on maintainance?

Last edited by champ; 10-30-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:48 PM

There is no fixed amount. With the high mileage on the vehicle you are beginning to see the problems associated with use and high mileage. Some expenses are considered routine like tires , battery, brakes , exhaust system, oil and filter changes, spark plugs and related ignition parts, trans service and so on. Things like ball joints are usually not routine items ,,,,unless the vehicle is driven over rough roads constantly. There are vehicles out there with high mileage that have been well maintained and are in better shape than a lot of those with less mileage and less use. Did you get any maintenance info regarding what was done to the truck before you purchased it? They are a good work vehicle and will perform well as long as they are properly maintained. 160,000 miles of highway driving is not as demanding of a vehicle as say 75,000 of stop and go driving. This is where only you know what kind of use the vehicle had and will get.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
There is no fixed amount. With the high mileage on the vehicle you are beginning to see the problems associated with use and high mileage. Some expenses are considered routine like tires , battery, brakes , exhaust system, oil and filter changes, spark plugs and related ignition parts, trans service and so on. Things like ball joints are usually not routine items ,,,,unless the vehicle is driven over rough roads constantly. There are vehicles out there with high mileage that have been well maintained and are in better shape than a lot of those with less mileage and less use. Did you get any maintenance info regarding what was done to the truck before you purchased it? They are a good work vehicle and will perform well as long as they are properly maintained. 160,000 miles of highway driving is not as demanding of a vehicle as say 75,000 of stop and go driving. This is where only you know what kind of use the vehicle had and will get.
Thanks for all the replies.
I am leaning toward keeping the beast and crossing my fingers. It runs good, drives nice and has a ton of space.
I am a cheap MFer and am trying to get the most out of this thing.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:13 PM

$1000 for yearly maintenance for a work vehicle is f-all. $1000 is 2 monthly payments for a new replacement vehicle. keep it...get it done and you will never need ball joints again.
as long as the vehicle isn't rust bucket, fix it.