Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Snow Tires HELP!!!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Default Snow Tires HELP!!!

New to the forum and need some help with snow tires on my f350 heres my situation.
I have moved finally to Big Sky Country. I have had some experience driving on snow but this place here is tucked back in the mountain side off a dirt road.When the snow started flying and the roads got packed down my 37" Toyo's Open Country MT's suck.

Any advice on a good tire for these type condition.
question 1 PACKED Snow covered roads
question 2 what air pressure do I run.

Lifted On 8 Inch Pro Comp XX75
Fab-tech Dirt Logic 2.25 Dual Steering Stabilizer
Pro Comp Traction Bars
Toyo Open Country 37x13.5x22
MKW 22x11 Wheels
MBRP 4 Inch Exhaust
Superchip
Arp Head Bolts

THANKS

Attached Thumbnails Snow Tires HELP!!!-king-ranch.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM

generally accepted theory is to have the tread width/weight ratio of vehicle matched.
A narrow tread width will cut thru snow better instead of riding on top of snow.Ever wonder why a VW Beatle hardly ever got stuck in snow? More PSI onto the ground with a good aggresive tread is the best combo. PSI in tire should be mfg's recommondations.
Also drive sensible,correct gear for speed.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Why not check with the tire retailers in your area. They should know what works and what doesn't.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 AM

I am not trying to cut through 2 feet of snow just get good traction on 3 to 6 inches of packed stuff.

@ hanky before I go to any retailers here. I like getting a public opinion from a few good guys. so I don't get taking for a ride from some salesmen that just wants to sell tires.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 AM

Bill,
You're doing your homework and the last thing a fast talking sales rep wants is someone who has done what you're doing. Keep in mind that tire dealers out in the hinterlands need your repeat business and if they steer you wrong you won't be back and can spread bad news about them. When you talk with others who live where you are and drive under the same conditions that is where you may get some of the most valuable answers.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

The challenge is,,

Trying to find a tire that can cover 'all' the bases.. If you go snow/ice tires you tend to loose longevity in the dry months since the compounds are softer, generally specific to cold conditions. Tires run in a more moderate cold and snow slush area may have more the same compounds and have slightly more aggressive tread to help channel snow and water from under the contact patch..

Large or agressive tread blocks may be ok for loose to light pack snow, but aren't much good on hard packed, or worse on ice..

A moderate width, moderate tread design (maybe sipe cut tires) to help on the ice would be a good bet. All the major manufactures, Bridgestone, Michelin etc. will have a tire to best meet your need, but you may not get a large or oversize style tire like you have now that will do all seasons or condition.. Swapping tires/rims is a pain for seasonal driving, and there's always studables I guess.

The hard thing here lately!! is that the conditions and temps change radically,, more so to the 'cold' and frozen over the last few weeks ;(

My 05 F250 has a more stock type tire that does pretty well on the iced roads (over my wifes F150 with wider more agressive pattern aftermarket) but the narrow tread pattern loads with snow pretty easy when off road. On road, if they keep'm clear, they hook up ok, better for sure in 4x4 and doable for most roads here..

Given all the types of condition (slush in the day if your lucky, ice at night) and if styling/size is imporatant, probably the best thing to do as noted would be to go in with all your needs, and make an informed decision to brand, cut or tread, and find out whats available for your application..

With Global Warming coming, (not here!) you may not want to invest in cold enviroment tires

Last edited by Hayapower; 01-15-2013 at 11:34 AM.