Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Starter / solenoid problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Default 1997 Starter / solenoid problem? no crank over

Hello there, I am new here and owned this '97 E350 5.4 for a couple years now. No real problems yet. Now won't start. Tried lite hammer taps, but not while someone cranks it.

The last 2 times I started it the starter did not disengage right away, then sat in cold WI. weather for a week with out starting. I went to start it and it only clicks one click and nothing.

I turned lights on and tried did not dim or anything. Lift gate still has power etc.

I charged the battery full, still no start.

I read of natural safety switch, so I shifted it around and nothing happened.

I can not find the fender mount solenoid, only something black plastic on firewall under windshield.

I seen a pic on the net showing the one on firewall, I put a screwdriver on the posts and nothing happens.

I put a screw driver on the starter and the starter motor turns, but nothing engages, not sure I am getting full contact on the other posts, it is cold and snowy I will try a piece of wire later.

I am feeling it is a fuse or a solenoid but again Please help me find where the solenoid is, this is my work truck and need it running.

this is the pic I found like mine and nothing happens when I put a screw driver on both posts, not even sparks.

Google Image Result for http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer.com/VjeYqFFD/1998%2Bf150%2Bstarter%2Bsolenoid.gif

Thank you and happy holidays,

Last edited by ford E350 cube van; 12-31-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 PM

Where the older vehicles had a primary relay somewhere on the firewall the newer vehicles have the starter solenoid right on the starter. If all the other systems have good power to them to operate , it sounds like the starter itself is due to be replaced.
If it has never been replaced before , consider getting a factory reconditioned starter directly from Ford. Never had any trouble with their starters and they last as long as a new one. If the solenoid on the starter is defective you have to remove the starter anyway, so best to replace the starter now.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 AM

Thank you and I will change the starter, but I was told buy a parts store and Ford dealer there "might" be a solenoid on the fender or something too.

Does anyone know this? If I change the starter that already has the solenoid attached I would like to replace the remote one also.

Getting different views from people.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 AM

If you want to do this, With a test lite, connect the clip on the test lite to the small terminal on the starter . That terminal gets power when the key is turned to the start position. Place the test lite pointed probe on a good ground, negative term of battery is as good as any. Turn the key to the start position and the test lite should lite. If it does it would confirm that power is getting to the starter solenoid. If it does not, then you need to backtrack to the ign switch. If the vehicle has an auto trans then the manual lever position switch, formally known as the neutral safety switch could have a problem.
Before getting into a long unnecessary explanation, let us know what result you obtained up to this point.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:31 PM

Thank you very much, I put it in reverse and the lights went in, so I assume it was starter.

I chamged the starter and it starts, so thank you again.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 PM

You're welcome, Glad to help.
Wow, another lucky guess on my part !