Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Starting 2000 F250 V10 after sitting for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Default Starting 2000 F250 V10 after sitting for a long time

I am trying to start an V10 Triton. The engine turns over, but never catches. The truck hasn't been run in a couple of years. What is it likely to be?

Is there an electric fuel pump that should be running when I turn the key? (there is no sound of a fuel pump).

It is either fuel or spark. Fuel injectors?

Bad gas? Any suggestions for resolving it?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM

When you first turn the key on, you should hear the fuel pump in the tank run for 1-2 seconds, do you?
You can rest assured the gas is stale! Depending on how much is in the tank if only a little you might get away with adding a few gallons of fresh gasoline.
A lot will depend on where the vehicle was parked. There could be water in the fuel in which case it would be a good idea to change the fuel filter for starters. If it ran OK when parked it should start if the gas is decent.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:23 AM

First things first. Does the CEL come on? Take out a plug coil and see if there's spark. That will tell us what direction to go in. There should be a fuel tap on the rail to check fuel pressure; see if anything comes out when the key is turned on; there should be a fairly strong shot/pulse of fuel (beware of sparks, ignition sources, etc.).

Old 07-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by greasemark
First things first. Does the CEL come on? Take out a plug coil and see if there's spark. That will tell us what direction to go in. There should be a fuel tap on the rail to check fuel pressure; see if anything comes out when the key is turned on; there should be a fairly strong shot/pulse of fuel (beware of sparks, ignition sources, etc.).
@Greasemark. Thanks for the response. No CEL (check engine light). I will look for the fuel tap -- didn't see one on the first look. My next step was to check for spark. Will check back with answers if I don't get it going.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
When you first turn the key on, you should hear the fuel pump in the tank run for 1-2 seconds, do you?
You can rest assured the gas is stale! Depending on how much is in the tank if only a little you might get away with adding a few gallons of fresh gasoline.
A lot will depend on where the vehicle was parked. There could be water in the fuel in which case it would be a good idea to change the fuel filter for starters. If it ran OK when parked it should start if the gas is decent.
@hanky. Thanks for the reply. I did not hear the fuel pump. I will check fuel pressure on the engine as suggested by Greasemark...that will clear or indict the fuel pump.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Be careful condemning the fuel pump before verifying that the relay, fuse, inertia switch and wiring are functioning. It's not a good feeling after having replaced a fuel pump and still have the same problem.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Be careful condemning the fuel pump before verifying that the relay, fuse, inertia switch and wiring are functioning. It's not a good feeling after having replaced a fuel pump and still have the same problem.
I will definitely check the power to the fuel pump before committing to replacing it. I assume it is an in-fuel-tank pump, replaceable only by removing the gas tank? Is that right?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM

I guess you could say half right because the other option is to remove the pick-up body and then the in tank pump is quite accessible. If you have the means it could be easier to remove the p/u body , but most folks don't so the tank needs to come down.If you are contemplating doing the job, make sure you have the correct tool to remove the fuel lines.
Check POWER and GROUNDS !

Old 07-16-2013, 08:59 PM

Let me get a little more specific on Hanky's post. The power to the fuel pump is supplied by a pk/blk wire that is supplied battery voltage when ever the key is cranking or running. It will also receive power for approx. 2 seconds when the KOEO. The larger blk wire is the power ground, the yellow wire is the gauge and the other wire (usually blk, but somtimes had a blk/wht tracer).
If you check it at the connector on the frame, left middle/rear section of the truck, near the rear lateral frame rail, it should have power at the above mentioned times. That would mean the pump is definitely done.
You could also try the old beat the bottom of the tank while cranking it and see if it breifly comes to life. If it does, don't shut it off, cause chances are it won't start again.