Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Default Time for new tires

I have a 2005 f250 reg cab 2wd that I use in my lawn care business so 90% of the miles on it are pulling a 1 and 1/2 ton trailer. The bfg tires it came with are just about bald at 50k miles (is that good or bad for those tires?)

I am probably going with bfg tires again but I figured I'de get some opinions first.

My top priority is long wear out of the tires and that brings me to my question.
Would a more aggressive tire like the bfg mud terrain t/a wear longer than the rugged trail t/a's my truck came with?...or any other less aggressive tread tire for that matter. The tread is deeper on the mud tires but I don't know if that translates to longer wear since the lugs are spaced apart more?

Most of my driving in this truck is 55mph or less on local roads, I very seldom get on the interstate with it but a little more traction would be nice as I do get off in soft ground on occasion.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM

anyone?

I would like to get a more aggressive tire than it came with but not if it won't wear longer than the standard rugged trail tires it came with..

Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

My 05 4x4 has Rugged Trail T/A's,,

and on my last set (OEM) I was at 80K and they still looked pretty darn good!, and almost perfect wear. I was going to tow my JD Bulldozer to my property and the tires were aged, and had some 'light' sidewall cracking,, but I really wanted to run them out and see what kind of life they had left! I've seen cracks in these tires at much less mileage though. Like you I though about going more aggressive BFG's because the Trail T/A's pack the treads pretty easy with mud/snow, or both, and aren't much good for a truck at their weight in poor conditions.. But most of my driving is hauling, longer range driving, and the Trail T/A's have been excellent for me.

A more aggressive tread will have a shorter service life, and in a 2WD application aren't much good on the front. If you go a highway or Trail T/A and a more aggressive rear for traction, it limits you to tire rotations..

You might check into brands/dealers that offer a mileage guarantee.. I've seen most of the top brands on these trucks, and alot of the service life they make sometimes depends on the operator monitoring tire pressure (nitrogen fill helps) and keeping the pressures to match the loads carried. Also, regular tire rotations can help get the best service life, and of course driving style

My last set of Trail T/A's I got, the dealer had a buy 3 get 1 free, and it was too good of a deal to pass up on, especially given the mileage I got from my last set. But again, getting higher service life numbers in highway applications, is much easier than constant hauling/tow and city driving..

Last edited by Hayapower; 08-12-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 PM

thanks for the reply!

I ended up getting bfg all terrain ta tires..... bfg's website showed them having a longer wear rating than the rugged trails I had so hopefully I can get 60 or 70 thousand miles out of these.
Surprisingly sears price on them was better than anything I could find online for the size I needed, and that's before you factor in shipping too

Old 08-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Default tires

Stay away from Yokohamas.
I just has 3 of 4, since late December 2009, have tread separation! Went ahead and got the 4th replaced before I had an accident due to a blow out!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by firesheriff
Stay away from Yokohamas.
I just has 3 of 4, since late December 2009, have tread separation! Went ahead and got the 4th replaced before I had an accident due to a blow out!

That's surprising, I have always been under the impression that yokohama made quality tires.

BFgoodrich was one of the few tire brands that I couldn't find tons of horror stories about so I decided to stick with them.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Default Tires

I love my AT BFG's 37.5*18r only get stuck in the deepest of mud, I'm just not getting the milage i want, would like to try a different skin, I really don't like noisy tires. I've been told these tires are to soft for the heavyer loads, which would explain why they don't last very long, Does Anyone know what is the biggest tire you can get under for your spare on a F350-08 reg box? And if anyone knows how to get the spare down without the locking key???? Ford has not been alot of help. Thank-you.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Vice grips and a lot of turning. The cable will eventually break!