Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Default Timing problem

Hey guys recently I bought a 1989 motor home with 460 fuel injected and I was encountering problems on my last trip home from a camp area and the engine would die multiple times but only when I stopped at intersections when I was looking for the problem everything pointed to a timing issue I checked the fuel pump and it worked perfectly then I checked my timing and I discovered if I put the first cylinder TDC on my mark on the shaft set on zero and my rotor pointed to #1 cylinder the engine wouldn't start I had to advance 20 degrees for the engine to start but it ran pretty bad so when the engine was running I had to turn back my distributor so the engine wouldn't not die, so my question is if my ECM is causing the problem I already replaced the distributor but that didn't solve the problem

Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM

One easy way to check this is to take EEC (the computer) out of the system. This is accomplished by unplugging the SPOUT (spark output) connector. It's a little 2 plug (usually grey) connector that is near the ignition module (if I remember corretcly, it's right next to the dist. in those years, but it could have remote TFI, in which case it would be mounted to the LF inner fender, kinda behind and underneath the coolant resivoir).
If you unplug this (which you should do the set base timing), then you get the standard 10 degrees BTDC that this should be timed at. If it starts to run better, this could point to a really big problem in the computer system.
THe best bet it to scan it for codes; a 14 or 18 means that the ignition system is the cause of the concern. Since you've indicated that the fuel isn't a problem (which is rare on a motorhome), then there could also be a throttle body or possible other sensor code.
Let us know!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 PM

With experience, when the timing is out that far a timing gear may have jump. You may have to find true tdc (either by pulling out #1 plug and slowly checking the rise) and lining up the timing marks to see if they match.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 PM

does it run like a new one when it's cold and then starts acting up or is it hard to start from the gitgo? 'cause you may have to replace the timing chain. if that happens then don't remove the dist. don't need to if replacing chain.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Default Continual Timing Problem

Alright guys, so I read all of your response and applied the advice but im still having some similar issues. The reoccurring issues are that I am putting the number one piston and TDC and I am setting the crank shaft marks on zero, and my rotor point on number one cylinder and I still cannot start the engine. To start the engine I have to advance twenty plus degree then the engine runs but runs bad. I replace the ECM, I replace the distributor, and I replace the throttle position sensor and yet nothing changed. So my question is, is it possible that something had happened to the timing chain or gears. Im assuming its the last aspect of the motor home engine that needs to be fixed and if it does need to be fixed would you guys be able to explain how to properly fix or replace the chain or gears? I mean I guess I could just burn the piece of **** and claim the insurance money, thats why I need your help !!!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 AM

Well I guess tourch'n it is last option for now. Let's concentrate on finding the issue before you do that.
As I told you, yes the timing gears may have jumpped. That is why you must physlicsally find tdc from the plug hole and see crank marks match up.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM

If there is that much doubt about what's going on, then just take the t-chain cover off and look at the damned thing. You can bet if it's got miles, it's time to replace it, anyway. It's not THAT much work, and it removes the doubt. On the bright side, it makes installing the distributor that much easier.
Did you remove the SPOUT connector and try to start it? I've seen some wonderful fuel injection problems that can act just like this.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 PM

how many miles on it?...are you sure of the rotor position?...which direction were you turning the distributor to improve things?..try the simplest things first,as said disconnect the SPOUT...what happens?...It sure does seem like a worn timing chain.Changing it out will benefit you anyway in the long run.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Default timing issue

well gentlemen sorry for being annoying, it may be a simple problem but its a big pain in the *** for me responding to all your comments I want to completely describe my rig its a 1989 f-350 62k miles fuel injected, the previous owner stripped the whole emission EGR valve disconnected intake manifold hole is plugged smug pump was removed completely hoses were also removed C02 sensor was unplugged, catalytic converter was removed; the guy tolled me did that to get better performance and fuel mileage, I got the performance but not the fuel millage. I still have a timing problem like I said before I replaced ECM and timing chain, I double checked timing marks on the gears they were ok, I put in a new distributor and new throttle position sensor then I started playing with the timing like you guys advised when I found the problem I started the engine and the engine was running bad it was shacking then I hocked up my timing light I couldn't see the marks I had to turn the distributor clockwise probably 10 degrees and the engine was running better and then I saw the marks but when I disconnected the SPOUT the engine died so I have to turn the distributor 10 degrees counterclockwise then the engine will start then I set the timing to the default position 10 degrees but when I connect the SPOUT the engine would died, so right now I am confused because when I disconnect the SPOUT set my timing 10 degrees and plug the SPOUT the engine dies so what am I doing wrong or what is the procedure to fix the problem I checked and double checked the TDC #1 cylinder and I checked the rotor in the distributor and it points directly at #1 and the marks on the crank shaft were on 0 one more thing when I advance probably 10 degrees clock wise it is very hard to crank the engine it seems like the battery is low but it is not I need some help please

Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM

when you put number 1 piston all the way up, take your hands and turn the crank to ( 0) top dead center ! when it,s sitting top dead center on the timing scale then the piston is all the way up ready to fire ! after it,s pointing to top dead center and it,s showing 0 on the timing scale then check the rotor button ! it could have jumped 1 tooth on the timing chain !

Quick Reply: Timing problem