Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Default Transmission

I have a 1984 ford f250 with a C-6 tranny, I was wanting to know if I could put a different one in with out any major changes to anything else. Or if there is a C-6 that has 3spd w/ OD. or 4spd w/OD. I am working on my truck after the last owners have abused this truck. thanks all

AZGunner

Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Would or may depend on what your using your truck for? Highway mostly? lighter towing/ hauling? or a more of a severe service application?

As far as more of a simple swap,, an AOD would offer a OD/manual lock up option, But,, the C6 can take more heavy duty service than the AOD. Any of the computer/module controlled trans like a E4OD would require more work, parts, and cost up front along with install costs, generally would pay for quite a bit of fuel if the C6 was to remain. If the truck is going to be a keeper, and custom or mods are on the table and funds aren't a large issue, then a E4OD with a trans controller might cover all the bases, but would be a larger task..

The problem with the AOD would be towing heaving and OD. Heat would the issue, and the over all design wasn't to put high weight numbers through that trans. If just light hauling or towing, or more empty use it's capable, just not as rugged as the C6.

If not a 4x4 a rear axle ratio change could be an option.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:24 AM

Well the truck is gonna be used on highways and off roading, I use it for gold prospecting, very little towing will be done but time to time some will be done. The truck has a full ton rear suspension, It has a 351W in it. I think the trans that is in the truck has only 3 forward gears, I just want something that will get better fuel millage so the truck can be taken for longer rides. I want to make this truck a keeper for my son, the truck currently has over 385k miles on it.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:17 PM

I agree w/mr. hayapower. The E4OD would be the best soloution, however, I would also say that a propely built AOD or possibly the AODE would handle it, with some mods. done.
Lets us know what you do.