Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Truck lost power, now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Default Truck lost power, now won't start

I have been reading this forum for some time and I just had an issue happen the other day. If anyone has any suggestions on what to look for or fix, I would appreciate it.

I have a 1997 (with 1996 body) F-250 Diesel 4x4 automatic. She just turned 200,000 miles. I live in the midwest and we were scheduled to get snow, which did come in, so I plugged in the truck and drove it over the weekend with no issues. I then drove it to work monday morning. I had it plugged in and went to work with no issues. While at work, I did not plug it in (which has never been a problem in the past, I just plug it in for easier starting up in this cold weather) and it started fine as I headed home. About 10 miles down the road, going up an incline I noticed the RPMs were sluggish and the truck felt like it was losing power. Then the motor quit. I still have electrical and the start can still turn it over, just no motor. I recently had a recall replacement on some cam shaft senor or something. It used to lose power for no reason until I had this replaced. For some time the truck had been running top end. I pulled the truck home, plugged it in and last night tried to start it, but I can't get the truck to fire up. Anyone have suggestions or thoughts I would love to hear them. Right now, I am thinking of waiting until we get at least 50 degree weather and I hope it just jelled up or something.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Might depend on what cold there is? Since you've already had the CMP update, plugging in the block heater doesn't help, and with 200K on the clock you might check the fuel/water seperator to see if it's full, or, drain the housing with the drain lever (screw the cap on a few threads) and have someone crank the engine and check to see if it fills back up quickly.. Original fuel pump? Also,, if it's very cold there, make sure the fuel heater works, and that the fuel has an anti gel additive.. When cranking the engine, do you see the tach needle bounce?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Also,, remember these engines have a minimum cranking speed for a startup, so good batts are a must...

Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 PM

hi, with your milage it could be any number of problems--turn on the key and see if the check engine light proves out and if the wait to start light comes on -if so cool-if not your fuel heater is shorted out and needs to be replaced along with a 30 amp mega fuse that controls the IDM module-also could be a shorted IDM module-also check your oil pressure gauge while cranking if it does not build pressure it could be a worn out IPR valve , does the engine smoke while cranking abd did it have a bad clatter to the engine before it died -that could be a bad fuel pump-i have to replace a bad fuel pump in the morning on a truck that did the exact same thing your truck did while climbing a bridge-hope this helps,mark.