Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

WiFi for your car?? Anyone have this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Arrow WiFi for your car?? Anyone have this?

I was looking at throwing this thing into my 250 .... Autonet.com just dropped the priced down to $199 and I wanted to get some feedback before bought it.Anyone know how this thing works? If cadillac and VW are both behind this product I figure it must be pretty good ... but I wanted to see if any 250 owners out there actually have used it in the 250.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Exclamation ok...

Has anyone used it at all???? I read some reviews on Amazon but they seem a little phoney...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:45 PM

Dang ... I can't believe that not one person knows anything about this product.... well... I guess I will go post on a tech site or something.

Anyone??? Anyone??? Bueller???

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Well,, I'll jump in since you haven't gotten any responses..

I looked at their system after your post and first thing I thought was cost/use time issues being it would be in my truck.. I picked up a Net card for my laptop so I could have internet/mail up at my property in Northern CA.. It showed to be in the service range 'easily', but I couldn't get any connection at all..

It's looks like it could be a great tool, if it works everywhere without any interuption, and you used it enough to pay for the services like long cross country tips with the kids, or anyone else you need to keep busy and/or buisness trips ect. With internet on the phone, and Autonets required service to provide a net connect, it seems like another bill.. Although I do like cool toys the issue of leaving my laptops onboard (or someone else either during a stop or if forgotten overnight, cables, and the area to mount/hide could be a problem.. When I used to use my laptop with a Delorme GPS, it seemed like I was always moving my harware in/out of the truck.. I think it may be a want/need tool in my case, but again could be fun and a great tool if traveling enough for the added expense..

Old 08-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Arrow Yeah, I'm thinking the same as you...

Yeah, I kind of agree with you... it seems like a pretty sweet toy but you definitely have to be careful about leaving your laptop in the car overnight and stuff.

For road trips it would be awesoem ... not to mention that since it works up to like 150 ft around the car... you could use it at the park or ballgame.

I also actually found this review from CNET.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/autonet-mobil...-50074938.html

I'll let you know if I get it.... I may get it soon.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Default I orrdered my Autonet Router!

I just ordered it .... I'll let you know how it goes... should be getting it by the weeks end...

Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Default Autonet succesfully installed!

Ok so ... I got my router installed and working! Here is my review with the experience so far.

Delivery- Came fast and easy.. I ordered from Amazon.com and the cost after rebate was a little over $200.00 ! $386.94 plus tax with a $200 rebate!

Installation- I had my local stereo store install it under my seat for $50! They told me it took about 30 min!

Performance- I would say Autonet is pretty spot on with what they claim. It seems to work seemlessly while in motion.... MUCH better than my cell card did. I am able to stream pandora without choppyness or lag ... I will say that every now and then you may get a second of hiccup but it's not enough to annoy you.... like once every 30 minutes.
Video streaming also works pretty good... granted it's still a 3g connection so the loading can be a little cumbersome but once it's starts streaming I have noticed very little hiccuping. It's for sure better than a cell card.

Range-Autonetmobile claims you can use it up to 150 ft from the vehicle and I would say this is accurate. I didn't bust out a tape measure but I was about 120-140 ft away with no problems.

All in all I would say I feel really good about the price and the performance... in the long run it will save me money for sure ... my cell card was costing me about $80 per month on average and Autonet is $29 FLAT rate. No taxes, no overages, no roaming.

I am definitely excited to road trip it up now!!!!