Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

2005 Ford Five Hundred - P0193 Code After Accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Default 2005 Ford Five Hundred - P0193 Code After Accident

After getting in a front end accident my car has SES lit up with a P0193 code. I cant see how this could have made a fuel sensor or fuel pump go bad and I dont think any wires were affected. The wreck bent my bumper support to the point where it was slightly touching the radiator.

After an accident, do the Ford Five Hundreds have some sort of (fuel safety mode) engaged?

Also, after letting it run for a bit today and checking everything, the transmission service code popped up too, as well as it flashed a sort of "engine safe mode" across the dash. I would like to believe these are all related to the P0193 code. I looked up the transmission service code and it said that this code would be present if the engine was not running properly and could cause rough shifts.

Thank you

Old 08-05-2015, 09:18 PM

The sensor is measuring pressure in the fuel rail so it or its related wiring may run near the front of the engine. Find the fuel rail and follow the harness and see if you find an obvious open wire as that's all it would take to set this dtc.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:38 AM

Ok ive been following the wire it runs from the fuel pressure sensor then to each inector, and down the side of the motor but I havent found any damaged wiring yet. However, i have noticed a wire thats connected to some sort of sensor is hanging in front of the radiator. I have no clue what this is. I took off the bumper to try and see where it goes and I cant figure it out. Its a little black sensor like piece that screws in somewhere and has a pointy piece protruding out on the threaded end.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:34 AM

Update - I tested the wires leading into the connector for the fuel rail pressure regulator and each wire reads good at 5 volts. (well 4.88-4.99, recommended 5)

Last edited by Airman89; 08-06-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:47 PM

the only wire that should have 5volts is the 5 volt ref. connected, the signal wire should be less than the ref voltage. that is how the ecm performs open and short diagnosis. if it sees full ref voltage or 0 volts on the signal wire it knows something is wrong.

not sure what you did so this is what you should have:
the sensor has a pressure and temp sensor in it.
the are 4 wires. a common 5 volt ref to both temp/psi sensors and a common grd for both. each sensor has its own signal wire

disconnect the sensor connector. key on, there should be 5volts on only one wire. one wire should supply grd
if your getting power on the signal wire you have a short to power.

if you not seeing voltage on the signal wire that is good. do an ohm check of the signal wire from sensor connector to ecm connector.
another option is to jumper the 5volt ref to the signal wire (use a fused jumper wire and make sure to test the correct wires) at the sensor connector. if the signal wire is good it should set the signal low dtc.
if this all tests good you have ruled out the wiring, replace the sensor, if the dtc resets replace the ecm

if its out of you comfort zone have a professional look it over. if you getting the body fixed through insurance, they will fix this also

Last edited by primem; 08-06-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:19 AM

What I did was used a voltmeter, car on sensor unplugged, using the orange wire as the ground checking each individual wire and each wire had around 5 volts. I'm not sure I completely understand your instructions (I'm not so good with electrical issues), could you try to explain again how to test the wiring? Which wire is the signal wire?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:52 PM

you are going to have to get a wiring diagram.