Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

2006 Mercury Montego Trans Service questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Default 2006 Mercury Montego Trans Service questions

Hi,

I am new to the CVT world. I've decided to service the trans by doing a few drain and fills. I will also drop the pan and replace the filter. I'm using all motorcraft parts and fluids.

A couple questions:

Where is the filler hole for the AWD CVT transmission located?

Also how do I measure the correct fluid level (assuming there is no dipstick)?

Does anyone know the proper torque spec for the trans pan bolts, too?

Thank you!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:05 PM

I own a 2005 500 SE. It has 48,800 miles. If you are new to the CVT, and you ain't broke, I strongly suggest let a Ford dealership check it for you. How many miles on your Montego? If it is over 100k check the fluid level. My 500 has a tranny dipstick. I had 2 Ford service managers tell me I didn't. On another 500 forum one member told me how to look for it. Take the top off the air filter box. Bend the top around, gently, and look down at the transmission case. You should see a small dipstick, if you have one. To check the fluid level the car needs to be driven, or at idle for 20 minutes. Before you do that take the dipstick out and look at the colour of the fluid. For mine it was a yellowish-green. If it is a dark colour you more than likely need it replaced along with the filter. My CVT has 2 filters. One is attached to the bottom of the pan, and the other gets replaced. The new CVT fluid has a bluish tint. Oh, the fluid ain't cheap! I needed 2 qts, and that was about $14 a quart. DO NOT use regular ATF. From what I have read it only takes a couple of tablespoons of ATF to ruin that CVT. I spent a lot of time researching the Ford CVT on the internet. A Ford dealership may charge about $300 for a complete fluid change. I don't know what your level of being a mechanic is, but mine is a decent DIYer. I also changed my fuel filter a couple of months ago. I believe a rebuilt CFT30 tranny can cost as much as $6200. I know I haven't answered all of your questions. I just don't want to give you any bad advice. I am still learning about this tranny, too!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:25 PM

Hi, EmmaJean--

I actually found the dipstick today!
As long as I have a dipstick tube to fill and a drain plug to drain the fluid, I'll be okay. It's a simple process of measuring how much fluid comes out and replenishing it with the same amount of fluid.

I already bought 12 qrts of Motorcraft CVT fluid, so I'm set with enough to drain and fill a couple times. Was tempted to buy the Valvoline CVT because it was cheaper, but I didn't want to risk it.

The filter I bought is part number: FT178.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll also be changing out the plugs, fuel filter, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant. Basically want to do everything. We have about 60, 000 miles on the car, and it's doing well.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:18 AM

Happy that you went with the Motorcraft fluid. What was the colour of your fluid? When the Ford dealership added the 2 qts I really had to look closely to see the level. I did have a problem about 2 months ago. I tried to start my 500. It didn't start, and I couldn't get it out of gear. I was only a few blocks away from a dealer. It had to be towed. The adviser called to tell me the tranny quit. I remember reading an article about a pin that allowed the gearshift to go in reverse. I told her about that. I got a call back an hour later, and that corrected the problem. So far my tranny shifts well, and I don't hear any extra noises. Will probably do the fluid and filter change at 100k. By all means please let me know how you are doing!

Old 10-13-2015, 06:00 PM

Turns out there are two filters (high pressure and a standard filter). Both can be serviced. There is a procedure correctly measure the fluid when refilling. Also has a torque sequence for the pan bolts, etc. There is a filler hole on top of the trans that you use to fill.

Brian at Blood, Sweat, and Gears Automotive (fordtechmakuloco on Youtube) was extremely helpful by providing me with the information needed to safely service this CVT transmission. He is an asset to the Ford community, so support him if/when you can.

Best,
Matt

Last edited by MattSF415; 10-13-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:00 PM

I knew there was someone that could get you in the right direction. I asked him a question some time ago, but never received an answer. He's quite more qualified than I am.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:04 PM

Well, it turns out, servicing the CVT is a PITA.
As was mentioned before, there are two filters. One is inserted into the valve body of the transmission via dropping the pan, and the other is outside the transmission and only accessible from the driver's side wheel well. In fact the engineers created a hole in the chassis to fit a 1/4" extension through to reach the most recessed bolt.

The PITA part is next:

Two things are really a PITA about servicing the Ford CVTs.

1) The pan gasket is almost impossible to get off the pan. I used a plastic scraper like the Ford directions state, and I was making little to no progress, so out came the razor blade! I did this for about 30 minutes, but I was not able to get the gasket material cleanly off the ridged areas of the pan gasket surface area. So I broke down and used my 90* die grinder with a medium grit 3M roloc disk. Don't know if this is a good idea or not, but it gave me fresh metal to metal contact for the new OEM pan gasket I bought. I was really careful not to remove any metal or dig into anything. That said, I did use a bead of high temp RTV on the pan side of the OEM gasket to prevent this from happening again.

There are 22, IIRC, pan bolts, and the ones nearest to the frame of the vehicle require a shallow socket with a flexible extension. It's hard to get the correct angle on these rear pan bolts. yes, there is a torque sequence, which was provided by Brian at Blood Sweat, and Gears Automotive. A big thanks goes out to him.

BTW, be careful to not damage your pan, they are discontinued by Ford and considered "obsolete," so you will not be able to replace them if damaged.

2) the high pressure filter housing is hard to reach with tools. Once there you are able to access the hardware holding the housing on, you must be careful. there are three bolts accessible from the driver's side wheel well. IIRC they are a T25 Torx. Either the head was stripped before we bought the vehicle, or I did it attempting to loosen the bolt! The irony is, the damaged bolt is the easiest one to get to, and I had the harder ones already removed and out of the vehicle.

These housing bolts are also obsolete, about $20 a piece, and will not be available anymore. There are literally a handful of dealerships that have them, so I ordered a few extra to have on hand.

The high pressure filter kit consists of a cylindrical filter and five (IIRC) O-rings. One o-ring goes on the filter housing and the other four go on the two high pressure lines that feed the housing. It's a PITA to get these o-rings on and off the aluminum tubes. You need a dental hook or pick and patience. There is not much room to get these seals on.

Since one of the three housing bolts was damaged, and I didn't have a replacement bolt, I decided not to proceed with the high pressure filter replacement.

I did two drain and fills with CVT and changed the low pressure filter.

I also learned how to set the fluid level thanks to Brian.

So, I'm waiting for my $20 replacement bolts to arrive, then I will remove the damaged one and finally be able to replace the high pressure filter!

Thanks, Ford, for discontinuing critical parts our CVTs!!!

Last edited by MattSF415; 10-22-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by MattSF415

Thanks, Ford, for discontinuing critical parts our CVTs!!!

thank Jatco/Nissan who ford buys its CVT technology from.

Why couldn't you source pan bolts elsewhere? Its a pan bolt not a jesus bolt.

Last edited by primem; 10-23-2015 at 08:16 AM.