Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

2007 Montego AUX Input Installation

Old 09-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Default 2007 Montego AUX Input Installation

Hello, I know that threads similar to this one exist, but most of them don't answer some fundamental questions that I'd like to know the answers to before I start an installation. So, please bear with me.

I have a 2007 Mercury Montego Premier. It contains a stock 6-disc CD changer/radio which has an "AUX" button on it; the vehicle isn't equipped with satellite radio. I've seen a thread from another site with several pictures of an AUX installation process on a 2005-2007 Ford Five Hundred, but I still have some questions. I've also seen a YouTube video of the radio being taken out of a 08-09 Mercury Sable (
). Here are my questions:

1) Is the process of installation the same for the Montego as it is for the Five Hundred?
2) Do I need any special tools to get the stock radio in and out?

I tried to follow the radio removal process in that other thread that I referred to, but I found it extremely difficult to get the main plastic panel that goes from the center console to the center stack (right below the climate control) dislodged.... I never got it out. I tried pulling from several locations, but it seems to be pretty tightly clipped in. That step being one of the first, I ended up getting discouraged and putting this process off for a few hours . The guy in the video...seemed to be using a butter knife, or something.... How do I get that thing off...?

3) What AUX adapter should I use?

In the other thread...the individual uses a Blitzsafe adapter. Those are pretty expensive though. I can get this whole process done for me for less than the cost of some of those Blitzsafe adapters. Are any types or brands of adapters unsafe to use in the car (Will they damage the radio or cause electrical problems with the steering wheel controls, etc?)? Does the audio quality...differ noticeably between brands?

4) Will an AUX adapter cause electrical problems/glitches in the vehicle?

5) Where is the best place to put the adapter box?

6) What is the best guide that you could refer me to for help with this whole process?

These are all of the main questions that I have so far. Please right as if to someone who doesn't work on cars regularly .

All of your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dskrobow
Hello, I know that threads similar to this one exist, but most of them don't answer some fundamental questions that I'd like to know the answers to before I start an installation. So, please bear with me.

I have a 2007 Mercury Montego Premier. It contains a stock 6-disc CD changer/radio which has an "AUX" button on it; the vehicle isn't equipped with satellite radio. I've seen a thread from another site with several pictures of an AUX installation process on a 2005-2007 Ford Five Hundred, but I still have some questions. I've also seen a YouTube video of the radio being taken out of a 08-09 Mercury Sable (Mercury Sable Stereo Removal 2008-2009 - YouTube). Here are my questions:

1) Is the process of installation the same for the Montego as it is for the Five Hundred?
2) Do I need any special tools to get the stock radio in and out?

I tried to follow the radio removal process in that other thread that I referred to, but I found it extremely difficult to get the main plastic panel that goes from the center console to the center stack (right below the climate control) dislodged.... I never got it out. I tried pulling from several locations, but it seems to be pretty tightly clipped in. That step being one of the first, I ended up getting discouraged and putting this process off for a few hours . The guy in the video...seemed to be using a butter knife, or something.... How do I get that thing off...?
Hi there, I can help you with half your problem, I have taken all of the trim off, including the dash and such. So here it goes...ready?

First, before you take out the trim surrounding the radio, you must first take the center console trim off. The way you do that is by:
1. take a plastic spatula and lift the thin silver trim around the shift selector.
2. open the storage in between the seats, now, take a plastic spatula, and wedge it in between the black of the storage part and the console plastic.
NOTE: Do not and I mean DO NOT try to just remove just the trim around the shifter, it s melted on to the plastic.
3. try to lift from that top you pried up evenly so you don't break any tabs.
4. once you have a pivot point at where the end of the shifter and the temp controls meet lift straight up and remove (set it to the side)
5. Look at the trim that you want to remove and follow it to the bottom of the temp controls, there are two screw that you need to remove (2 inside screws, not the outside)
Do not lose them.
6. Take the plastic spatula and start at the bottom of the trim where the trim and the dash meet and start prying until you feel a gentle pop, that's the tabs releasing. Be even more gentle near the top as the trim becomes more thinner in thickness.
7. Pull the trim from the dash.
NOTE: you now have two options, turn the trim 90 degrees to the right and let it hang to the side or just unplug the connectors and put the trim in a safe place.
8. The radio is being held by 4 screws (you can't miss it)
9. Now you can pull the length of the radio out and a little more to disconnect the power source, speakers and antenna.

Hope that helps!