Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

AWD not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Default AWD not working

I have a 2005, Ford 500 and the TC light is on and the AWD is not working. When I start the car after sitting all night in a cold garage (live in upstate NY) it will not be on and the AWD will work. This lasts 3-4 minutes at the most. Took it to the dealer and he said their diagnostic computer was reading "low pressure". He said I needed to change the "clutch packs" in the rear end to the tune of $3,600. I have been told this can be fixed by changing the oil in the rear end.
Any experiences with the AWD not working or experience in changing the rear end fluid?
Thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM

Ohh this is a classic. Let me tell you wherever you went and whatever they told you. THEY ARE FULL OF SHYT! I can tell you exactly what is wrong. Private message me and we will resolve this situation.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 AM

FordLifeSaver, don't be shy,
most of us who participate here are only trying to help and learn at the same time. You have some valuable knowledge and experience and all that does no real good locked in a bottle. Consider sharing some of that knowledge and experience with all of us. I'm sure there are some that would like to hear the correct answers you may have to offer So, come on share, it won't hurt a bit OK.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM

Alright since Hanky asked so nicely. More then likely you have CODE P1889 stored in your vehicle and i almost guarantee that is the code. Most people wont be able to pull the code unless your at a ford dealer. Anyways, the part that you will need to START WITH, and i cannot stress this enough is a OIL PRESSURE/TEMPERATURE SENSOR. This is the part number 7F9Z-4B487-A. I am going to guess the price of this sensor is $200. The installation at a dealership should be $100 and then a retest. Now i have run into this situation multiple times sometimes the sensor will fix the concern and sometimes it does not. If the concern is not fixed the next step is to replace a piece of the rear differential called a COUPLER which lets say costs $500 and labor $200. Now i have done this repair as well and it has fixed the vehicle every time for me. Lastly if that does not repair it then it will most certainly a MODULE in the rear. So your best scenario you will spend less then $400. You can count the worse scenario. But don't listen to some jackasses stating you need a rebuild in your differential. Now, go do it and hope its your lucky day.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM

Thanks for sharing that with us FordLifeSaver !
As you have gathered there are all sorts of people with concerns with their Ford vehicles and a lot try to help themselves as far as their ability and tools will permit. I'm sure you have seen many many times where a facility will give a quote and description of how to correct a problem where if the person doesn't know any better they buy it and PAY and sometimes still have the same problem. Most of the time this site has offered good and valuable suggestions based on the participating members experience and sometimes we were not exactly on the money. There is I'm sure a certain degree of satisfaction obtained when you can offer a correction or solution that helps the others. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Default One more question

First of all thank you FordLifeSaver.
I would like to do the install myself but I have two questions. First I'm not sure where the part is but I have a shop Manual and could look it up. The other is, with out the computer is there a way to reset the system?
Thanks

Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Unless You know what your doing i would not recommend attempting this repair. If you believe you are delicate enough to attempt this repair then I will continue. This sensor is located in the rear end behind the square module you will see. It's held in by 3 torq bolts. The trick is to not lose too much fluid and look very carefully which way the sensor seal and washer face. I would bring it to a dealer to install it should take 1 hour to do or less I can do it in 20 minutes with a lift. I would not bring it to a bs shop. Plus a ford dealer can reset that specific code and test it. If you are still to stubborn to bring it to a dealer I can try and but some diagrams up on the repair

Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Default You had me at Torq Bolts

I have an appointment next Friday to bring it in to the dealer. Unfortunately the same one that wants to replace the Clutch Pac.
Thanks again.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 AM

Sorry to hear that. Listen when you go to the dealer tell them this is the TSB that you would like to get performed on your vehicle
TSB
08-4-11
  • TRACTION CONTROL LAMP ON - NO DTCS PRESENT, OR DTC P1889 IN DIFFERENTIAL ELECTRONIC MODULE (DEM)

If that is the code stored in the vehicles system. To perform this repair they have to pull the codes out of your vehicle so don't get charged extra for that. If they are a certified ford dealer they should understand. Like i said this is where they have to start with and you may or may not get lucky on this repair but it is the least expensive repair at this time.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Timesnow
I have a 2005, Ford 500 and the TC light is on and the AWD is not working. When I start the car after sitting all night in a cold garage (live in upstate NY) it will not be on and the AWD will work. This lasts 3-4 minutes at the most. Took it to the dealer and he said their diagnostic computer was reading "low pressure". He said I needed to change the "clutch packs" in the rear end to the tune of $3,600. I have been told this can be fixed by changing the oil in the rear end.
Any experiences with the AWD not working or experience in changing the rear end fluid?
Thanks
I just started having this problem yesterday. There is a TSB on the differential clutch control oil pressure/temperature sensor. The TSB Number is 08-4-11. If they're a real Ford dealer, they should know about this. Not saying this is your problem, but at least you'll be able to let them know what you're talking about. Yikes! If this is my problem, the sensor is around $200.00. They don't give this stuff away. Good luck.

Quick Reply: AWD not working