Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Ford 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Default Ford 500

Reposting this from a previous site I put it on:
I just bought my FIRST ever Ford after having driven 'another' brand for 30+ years. I went to the Ford 500 because of its features and I liked the ride. Unfortunately ever since I bought it NEW in June '05 I've had problems with it from day 1.
First with the brakes, then the transmission wasn't right. The dealer has really given me a rough time with it and I found this very disturbing being how as a first time Ford owner I would have expected them to be a little more accomodating.
Within the first 500 miles they 'turned' the front rotors because I was having brake problems. Turned out the problem was with the rear brakes but it took them 3 trips and 3 months to figure that out. Then I drove the car out of the dealer, down the road about 2 miles and the front right tire EXPLODED! Brand new car, Perelli 18" tires and it explodes like a ballon. Dealer says I hit something, which I know at 30 MPH that I didn't but anyways, thats the luck I've been having.
Anyways, my problem: Seems the transmission is acting funny again. My understanding is that its the new 6 speed transmission but it seems to lag when you start out. They supposedly fixed this the last time I had it in but its doing it again. Also there seems to be a loud rumbling noise when you excelerate coming from the transmission. Just doesn't feel and sound right, if I can use that description.
Has anyone else had any experiences with their 2005 Ford 500 and the transmission?
Also how about the CD player. I have the top-of-the-line Ford 500 and the CD player seems to skip quite a bit on different CD's that are loaded in.
Would appreciate any info on the 500.

Thank-You:
--Steve....

Old 01-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Default RE: Ford 500

the transmission has no gears!

Old 08-24-2006, 05:52 PM

I too I have the SAME issues with the Tranny; I'd give it the gas to merge onto busy higway and it responded like an old man getting up out of chair . I've had it to the dealer 3x and each time I was told "Code Upgrade" for the computer was needed? I believe this to be total BS!

The CD player has been skipping since I purchased it new in DEC 2004. The dealer said they put a new one in this last time, but that is a lie, because I marked the radio to see if they would really replace it. Either they put my mark on a new radio or they just left it. However, I do believe they took the dash apart, because now the passenger side A/C is out and the radio does not glow (buttons)! So I believe a new service department is in order.

I am also having issue opening the trunk? The latch seems to be sticking and alot of force is needed to pop it open?

Thanks. Dave.

Anyone else?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:14 AM

The CD players in Ford vehicles are all scrap. I know this from experience. We replace at least 1 a week at our shop.

The transmission is a CVT type and will not behave like a regular automatic.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:52 AM

I have the 6 speed not the CVT?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:20 PM

I have a ford 500 limited awd
i have nothing but trouble with it
my problems seem to all be computer problems
OR sway bar problems -- thus resulting in tire damage.

[:@]

Old 12-17-2007, 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Mulletman

The CD players in Ford vehicles are all scrap. I know this from experience. We replace at least 1 a week at our shop.
What do you replace them with? My 500 has about 23K miles and Sunday while on a 250 mile drive, the CD player quit. Kept saying bad disc,[:'(] wouldn't eject any disc. Finally had to take out the fuse to shut it down. Next day finally got it to eject all 6 disc. However no matter what disc I put back in it said bad disc and would auto eject. For the money Ford get ofr the 500 it should have a better sound system than this POS.[:@]

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Bub

Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 AM

I have an '05 500 Limited AWD. I love the car and have not had any 'major' issues with it. I do have the problem with the trunk not releasing. I fixed this by using a couple heavy duty springs which lift the trunk lid just enough to overcome the 'locking' issue. Another minor issue I hae is with the light switch. If it is left in the off position, the lights will turn on and off at random. Turning the switch to auto takes care of the problem. That is something else I think I can take care of when the weather warms up. I had one curious issue which I recently posted here. Other than that, This has to be the best car I have ever owned. I also realize this is a first-run/first-year model and have expected more bugs than I have encountered. I find the AWD very smooth though a bit underpowered, but this isn't a Mustang, so I don't treat it as such.

The Pirelli tires have been changed twice since I had this car because they have separated. I have had my dealer replace them twice with no problem. I am looking into changing the tire brand altogether, but am having difficulty finding a replacement. The car is great. The tires are more of a problem for me than the car. I get outstanding mileage from a tank of fuel. I can drive to Chicago from Indy and then cruise around town for the day beforeI have to refuel.

I am glad they kept the basic design when reintroducing the new Taurus. The 6-CD player gives me fits sometimes but that may be because of the data discs I use for MP3s which I willl accept because 1 CD can last me a whole trip. Regular CDs never give my player any issue. When looking into updating the speakers, I found there isn't a whole lot of room under the seats for amps, and I cannot put them in the trunk. This is a great car which I have grown familiar with and trust it. I can drive anywhere and can confidently say I trust this car will getme back home in one piece.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 PM

I have a lot of trouble opening the trunk too. I have to hit the trunk open button about 10 times before it opens. Also, I cranked the car one day and the radio/CD player wouldn't come on, but the next day, it mysteriously came back on. I drive a 2006 model.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Default ford five hundred

hi i have a 05 ford five hundred and i starting to get the hard down shifting from the transmisson. o and its an automatic too. just wanted to know if it was going to hurt my car if i keep drive'n it like this