Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Long list of problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Default Long list of problems

I have a 06 Ford 500 that my son's been driving for about a year and has pretty much driven into the ground. I am driving it now.

Some days it has a starting issues, turn the key and the engine will do like a half crank. After turning the key once or twice it will start but cranks hard. Not like a low batt but like a jerky crank.

I pulled the codes and I have two P codes, P1000 and P 1719. I've also have two other codes showing up, C1300, this I believe has to you with the ABS and U0415.

I am also having a cooling system problem. I will pressure test the cooling system where I am sure I will find the leak but the question is how do I refill the cooling system? There has to be an easier way than just putting coolant in the coolant reservoir letting it drain down.

Any help will be appreciated thank you.

Last edited by Dawggtired; 07-19-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 07-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Due to the odd codes you have received, I would be a little suspicious of the battery and the power the electrical system is receiving. The starter may be pulling so much that it is dropping the available power to everything else.A good place to start checking would be all the power and ground connections right from the battery on down. There is always the possibility the starter may be pulling too much. The best way to confirm this would be a starter draw test. Unless you know for sure, it would not be the best move to replace the starter until the checks confirm the possible problem.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:03 PM

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I think you're probably on to something. While putting a weatherseal back on one of the backdoors I heard a small motor running. I discovered that CD player was searching for disk every time you opened any door. Just by chance I happened to notice the needles on all the gauges including the speedometer and tachometer were moving all jittery like whenever the CD player was searching.

Many years ago I had an old 73 Mustang that was a battery killer. Every time the battery is too weak to turn the engine over the needle of the tachometer would jump all over the place.

That turned out to be a bad alternator. The alternator slowly discharged the battery whenever the car wasn't being driven.

Sorry I digress, tomorrow I'll pull out the multimeter and start looking for voltage draws and the grounds. I'll pull out the CD player also.

Thanks

Last edited by Dawggtired; 07-20-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Grammar agin
Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 AM

I think you're on to something also !
Fords don't like add on s. By that I have found their electrical systems are not at all tolerant of stray signals given off by add on equip that is not properly installed. It causes weird things to take place and throws unexplainable codes. And there could be a possible problem with the alt. If you should decide to replace it , consider getting the correct one from Ford, it will save you from a lot of problems. Aftermarket rebuilt Ford alternators come with their own problems.