Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Sunroofs ~ Warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Default Sunroofs ~ Warning

Yesterday after picking up my 8 year old daughter and her friend from Girl Scout camp, we were driving home on the highway when we here a loud noise. Scared all of us. It sounded like something may have hit the top of the car. Then I hear glass falling on the cover of sunroof. The thing had shattered!!! Not cracked but shattered! Thank GOD that I had that cover closed because I was driving about 65 mph.

The odd thing is the glass is pushed outward like someone kicked from the inside. It is a 2009 still under warranty so I call the dealer. They won't do anything. So I called the insurance company and they are taking care of it all except $50. But the more research online I'm finding out that this is a common thing. People are just driving with alone the highway and it explodes. Most of them have their sunroofs close but some have had them slided all the way open and they hear something, to only slide it close and see it is shattered.

I'm on the phone with Ford right now to see what can be done. But just wanted to pass this on to others. If you have a sunroof and driving with it closed on the highway... make sure you keep the cover pulled closed. My husband always leaves the cover pushed back.. I hate to think of what the glass could have done to the girls if it had been open.

Name:  sunroof021.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  sunroof012.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  89.8 KB