Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Focus for my daughter

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Default Focus for my daughter

Looking for a focus for my daughter. Unfamiliar with model. In general, would you buy an older one with low mileage or would you buy a newer one with higher mileage?

Any red flag issues to be wary of?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 AM

Old Focus Engines (200-2004):

Red flag is this engine:

* Valve cover usually unpolished aluminum, silver in color, with "2.0L Split Port" cast into it * Valve cover has 3 bolts in the top middle, holding it down * Spark plug boots are on the front of the engine, above the exhaust manifold * Oil cap is in the top center of the valve cover * Front of valve cover has 4 "humps" that stick out, with indentations where the spark plugs go * Found in all Focus LX's from 2000-2004 * Found in certain Focus SE's from 2000-2004 * Found in all 5-speed Focus Wagons for the 2000 model year

Pictured ABOVE: The 2.0 Split Port engine, commonly called SPI, will have catastrophic engine failure at any time!!!! Google Ford Focus SPI dropped valve seat to find out more

* Valve cover is usually black, and bearing "Ford" and "16v Zetec" logos on it * Valve cover has 4 spark plug boots running down the middle, with two raised areas in front of and behind the spark plug boots * Oil cap is in the front drivers side corner of the valve cover * Found in many 2000-2004 Focus trim levels * Not available in the Focus LX. * Not available in 2005 and newer Focus

Pictured above: The 2.0 Zetec. It's a very reliable engine and it's a non-interference engine which makes it very easy to work on. Common problems are the thermostat housing, and the wiring for the alternator on earlier years is faulty.

2.0 Zetec SVT

* Valve cover is aluminum, with a silver color to it. * Spark plug wires and coil-pack are covered with a black plastic shroud, with an SVT badge over the spark plug wires * Oil cap is in the front drivers side corner of the valve cover * Found only in 2002-2004 Focus SVTsPictured above: The SVT engine has the same common issues as the normal Zetec, this one IS an interference engine.

Duratec Engine (2004-2011)

* Intake runner is on the front of the engine, and is black in color * Contains a very elaborate air intake and air filter system * Coil packs are mounted on top of the (barely visible) valve cover * Engine bay, in stock form, looks somewhat cluttered with cables and hoses for emissions purposes.

Pictured above: The duratec engine has a lot of Torque, therefore, the automatic tranny's were known to fail. This one has a timing chain. There is what's known as a 2.3 PZEV version of this engine found in some of the 2004 models. This engine was a requirement in the "green" states. Ford also used this engine in the 2006 version of the Focus ST.

Duratec TiVCT (2012-present)

Found in the newest model of Focus, this engine is based on the previous Duratec.

My recommendation would be either the regular 2.0 Zetec or a Duratec engine. You can't go wrong with either of these 2 engines and I know guys right know with more than 300,000 miles on these engines.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Duratec is the one to get!