Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

gas pedal hard to push down

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Default gas pedal hard to push down

My gas pedal is hard to push down at first

takes a good amount of pressure to get it to move the first little bit

after its down past a certain point it moves fine.

this happens most of the time, sometimes it will be ok but 95% of the time its a problem

Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: gas pedal hard to push down

What year Focus?

Does it kind of 'snap'or have a 'pop' feel as the peddle pressure is first applied (right off idle only?).. Hard to geta smooth throttle transition from idle to just above?If so,, most of the throttle bodies have a cable/mechanical throttle plate that is factory set, non adjustable, and the plate is held 'almost' in a completely closed position.. The throttle bodies bore, and the round throttle plate are a 'precision fit' and if allowed to close tight can stick the plate inside the throttle body bore.. What usually happens is,, as the throttle plate shaft and/or throttle body shaft bore wear, it allows the plate to close a little tighter than the factory spec causing the sticky throttle application..

Try this,, Engine off (tryboth cold and at normal operating temp),,, open the throttle all the way and slowly let the throttlereturn to a rested/idle position.. Now ease the throttle open paying attention to the first tip in.. Try it multiple times.. Does it stick? Then open the throttle all the way and let it quickly snap closed..Throttle stick now? If it repeats (sticks) each time with the throttle snapped closed, it's the plate/bore..

Most times to correct the sticking throttle the stop can be adjusted, or easier, is to bend the throttle stop 'tab' very slightly to offset the wear and open the plate a 'fraction'..

Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Might try a throttle body cleaning prior to any adjustment, but most times I've found them needing some minor adjustment to correct the sticking issue.. Check for, and clean the throttle body and plate of debris/build up, bestcleaned with Throttle BodyCleaner.. Remove the intake tube and inspect the plate/bore..

Old 10-26-2008, 05:22 AM

All stock TB on a Focus do this. Get yourself a bigger TB. I'm on a few Focus forums and thats the first thing everyone does. Mine is so easy now. I won't allow anyone to drive my car because it's so sensitve. Also, it makes it alot more fun to drive.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:56 PM

its an 04

it happens anytime my foot is taken off the pedal, including when its shut off and i get back in.

I can be doing 70 and then take my foot off the pedal, then when i try to push it down again its hard to do

After i get it past the hard part and keep my foot on it its fine

as long as i dont take my foot off and let it back up

Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 AM

In the winter it will really be a pain. I changed mine after the roads start to get slick and you need a light pedal. Go aftermarket. Check these site out for everything you need to know.
focusfanatics.com
focaljet.com

Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM

how much will this cost me

Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 PM

New ones start around $250 for a 65mm. There are 67mm and 70mm available too. Cost goes up though. More air means more power.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM

well im not really into power cars or anything, this sticking is just annoying as hell.

is there a cheap way

Old 10-27-2008, 03:41 PM

Nah, thats all I got for ya. Check out the sites I listed though. Very informative info on everything.