Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

High speed sputter

Old 05-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Default High speed sputter

Hope somebody can help me out...
I have a 2001 Focus LX with 57K miles on it. When I accelerate at high speed it sputters and lurches. If I gradually increase the speed it seems OK. It's only when I punch it that it seems to do this. I don't have much money so taking it to the shop is a last resort. Any ideas of what it could be so that I could try a few do-it-myself fixes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Default RE: High speed sputter

Yes, replace the fuel filter!!

Old 06-12-2005, 08:56 PM

I have a question for you...I've been having the exact same problem with my focus (2000 w/50,000 miles) and changed the fuel filter and I'm still having problems. Also, it sputters more when I'm in overdrive. Now what do you suggest?

Old 06-13-2005, 01:23 PM

Don't know, was going on same problem different car. Maybe something to do with tranny, be haven worked or T/S one yet. Sorry [&:]

Old 06-13-2005, 07:50 PM

FYI, I've just gotten back from the Ford garage (over $100 poorer) and learned that it was my sparkplugs and/or wires misfiring. Problem solved.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:15 PM

Should have thought about that [&:] I've seen that on older car, like in Mitsubishi's, the disturbutor cap would arc cause same problem.
Without cap I didn't think about plugs and wires, they usually last much longer now adays. Thanks for the great info

Old 06-15-2005, 02:17 AM

I was going to suggest something like spark problems... I was actually going to suggest you look into how your knock sensor is doing. That sputter may have fired of a DTC light that has shown your KNOCK sensor or should have shown in the sensor. Knock sensors control timing advance of your vehicle. If you don't know, the timing is what controls how your plugs fire due to fuel and air input into your engine. If they claim bad plugs and wires (it's rare to have bad wires), I'd suggest you look at the output of your knock sensor.

You can perform a self test of this, sort of. First, listen to your motor while driving, and see if you hear what sounds like a small bag of marbles rolling around inside your engine block, it could be very subtle. You won't hear this much at an idle, or without driving it, so reving the engine most likely won't produce these sounds. Acceleration while under load, or at higher RPM's, or even firmly accelerating up the street from a low RPM to a higher RPM. Depending on the year of your vehicle, it may not even have a knock sensor. Sometimes this sound isn't even auditable to the naked ear. These sensors are too expensive either, it's dependant on where in/on your motor the sensor is located, typically 30 to 50 dollars, however labor to get to it may cost some.

Also, if your plugs were bad, think about the possibility that your injectors are starting to be effected, if you don't have feul injection on your motor, then pop off the top to your carburator, and see if you have carbon build up on the air chokes, or walls of the carburator.

This is just a "things .look for" suggestions, as it's highly possible that new plugs and wires was the trouble. I just don't want you to be too comfortable about your problems being fixed, as something had to cause your plug and wire problem. Bad gas???? Bad alternator to burn out the wires? Bad distributor, or alternator? I'm not an expert, but that's my experience.

Hope all goes well 4 u!

Old 06-15-2005, 10:30 PM

i dont know where you live but they had recalls on the fuel pumps which were causing lack of power and stalling

Old 06-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Administrator

i wonder if he got it fixed by now....