Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Ignition sticky again and again.....and again

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Default Ignition sticky again and again.....and again

Hi Folks,

I have been down this road already before where the poor construction of Fords ignition in the Focus (2003) has once again locked up. The tumblers - cylinders in the switch get stuck and no amount of lubrication will free them up. The last time this happened I had to pay over $400 bucks for the car to be towed, the ignition drilled out ( why I dont know, I just pulled it) and replaced with yet another horrible genuine Ford part[:'(]. Now one year later, ( I have found out this is extremely common) the ignition is messed up again. I purchased a new aftermarket ignition switch from Napa, and it came with PATS keys. I have pulled the old ignition, ( it wasnt that hard to do), and put in the new one. now of course my car still wont start unless I tape the old keys to the anti theft system box. I did what my owner manual says about reprogramming the PATS keys and it did not work. Could the keys already have been programmed? (it looked like the package had been opened before I got it[]) I would rather have the new ignition re keyed to the old keys. but i dont know how and my one and only locksmith around here is on vacation. I was using the car with the taped key in place but yesterday it didnt want to go ahead and let the car start a couple of times. I freaked[:-]. I have to get this fixed. How do I change the cylinder to match my old keys???? PLEASE help me..
I know this might be one of the if we tell you we have to kill you things. but i really need to know, and i am afraid to drive it as is.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Default RE: Ignition sticky again and again.....and again

The Ford replacement ignition comes packed so that you have to actually assemble the lock cylinder to match keys. The aftermarket part you got comes with a PATS key and is already assembled.

You can go to the dealer and they can to a "Key Code Erase" and then program your new key, but you will have to cut another one since you need 2 to do it.

OR, take one of your old keys and try to dig the "PILL" out of it that the tranciever reads. Tape that "PILL" inside the cover by the ignition switch. Now go get a new "NON-PATS" key and use it for ignition.