Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:46 AM
Default Misfire

Hey focus community, Evan here. I have a problem with my 02 ZX3, while at idle she runs fine, but when I go to take off she starts missing, BUT she wont do it if I let the clutch slip. I know its not good for it but only way shes driveable. Ive already replaced the fuel pump and the relay, had a similar problem a few months ago and I changed plugs and wires and it fixed the issue. Then it started up again. Any ideas out there. Need help ASAP or im driving it off a cliff. I really do love my car and want her back on the road. She also misses when I hand the can to it getting on the freeway but light acceleration doesnt bother it. Could it be just a fuel filter? No CEL either which I think is odd. Just a random missfire.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:43 PM

You might want to look the coil over very carefully for cracks or carbon tracks.
Also , unplug the alternator then try driving it to see if the problem is gone or still present.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:51 PM

@hanky thanks man ill definitely give it a shot, any elaboration on how the alternator could cause the issue would be appreciated. I mean ive gone through 6 of em, but wouldnt the battery take over if the alternator is giving up? And woukdnt I get a battery light?

Old 12-31-2016, 03:04 AM

Coils are known for breaking down under load and result is misfires.

Alternators, for some reason, can/will produce voltage spikes, electrical interference, that confuse the computer. When operating properly they give no problems, but when they start to act up , they can produce problems we never expect.

Ford alternators can drive techs nuts sometimes ,especially aftermarket ones. From experience had best results getting replacement alternators right from Ford.

Last edited by hanky; 12-31-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:12 AM

I usually get my alternators from ford as well. Ill definitely take a look but the charging system was gone through a few months ago. Ill have them look at it, its under warranty. Im going to clean the MAF and the CKP sensor, then do a vacuum test tomorrow. I changed the fuel filter and that has helped a little, but it still stutters under load, not as much as it used to though. So I think injectors may need to be replaced, may have gotten gunk in them. Thanks for the advice though it definitely is appreciated. Ill update soon.