Ford Enthusiast Unofficial Resource

Go Back   Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Ford Cars > Ford Focus
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Ford Forum!
Welcome to Ford Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Right front tire sounds flat, but isn't.

Hello all, I am new to this site and I really do hope that someone can help me with this. While driving for about 5 minutes going only 40 mph, my 2001 Ford Focus SE was doing fine. I took a right turn andall of a sudden it sounded and felt like my right front tire was flat. I pulled over to check it and it was fine. It doesn't make the steering any different but it sounds like a thump the whole time now. Could it be the bearings or something completely different? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:40 AM

Default RE: Right front tire sounds flat, but isn't.

I'd have it checked. Possible broken cord can make a tire thump like its out-of-round.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:47 AM

Thank you very much for such a quick response. Replacing either the cord or the bearing, would that be expensive? Also, could either be done by a DIY-er?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:38 AM

Unfortunatley the cord is inside the tire walls/tread itself, so replacement is the only fix. Wheel bearings just dont fail, they take time and the wheel would wobble, noticably over time. To do it yourself isn't too hard if you have a manual and the tools and patience!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:30 PM

OK, so I am on my way to my dentist appt and i'm cruising along. Still have that thump sound but nothing else. All of a sudden, I accelerate and it won't go anywhere. I had to coast to the side of the road and I was stuck. I put it in park and it made a grinding noise like I was trying to put it in gear without depressing the clutch. Mind you, I have an automatic. Even in park, it was rolling backwards. I couldn't go anywhere. What is anyone's opinion as to this problem? I would like to know so that when the mechanic calls me and says what it is, I want to make sure he is at least close to what anyone here says. I thank everyone who responds.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:30 PM

Tags
accelerating, broken, cord, flat, focus, ford, grinding, isnt, noise, park, putting, sound, sounds, thud, tire, windstar