Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Strange Noise Shortly After Starting Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:10 AM
Default Strange Noise Shortly After Starting Car

Hi all,

So I'm reaching out for help here. I have a 2000 Focus that has recently been giving me a new problem about twice a month. The current problem is this terrible, somewhat grindy noise I hear within 30 seconds-1min after starting the car. The noise happens if it's in part or reverse or drive. It seems to me that it's coming from the front passenger side of the car. I cannot tell if it is a metallic or plastic noise. I took it to my mechanic about 9 days ago and he checked whatever he checked. All he said he found was a worn out strut mount, so he replaced that. No noise again until last night.

Does anybody have any idea what this is? Could it be related to my starter, or, like the strut mount, could it be another part of my suspension?

I seem to only hear it that once after starting, but it's a pretty terrible sound and I really want to get it fixed. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 11-24-2015, 04:50 PM

The frightening sound could be coming from an idler pulley bearing or a belt tensioner pulley bearing. No big deal to replace and not that expensive, if the belt has not been replaced , change that too !