Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Traction Control Light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Default Traction Control Light stays on

I have the 2005 Focus Wagon and I notice the Traction Control Light is staying on. I can't take it to the dealer at this time. Has anyone else ran into this? If so do you know what the solution is. Haven't noticed any other adverse problems. Other than this light staying on.

It has been a decent car up to this point. Gets great over the road mileage.
/thanks in advance to any replies....................

Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Default RE: Traction Control Light stays on

I own a '05 Focus as well and was confused about the traction control light too. When it's on, it means that the traction control system is on. When the wheels begin to slip, the system will activate and the light will flash. I have found though in the snow that it's sometimes better to leave it off. You can shut it off simply by pressing the button. Once done, the light will go off too!

Hope this helps...

SK

Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 PM

I have an '05 Focus as well. Skeefe978 is right. I think the button is on the gear selector.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-18-2008, 09:56 AM

CORRECTION:
After driving in the snow this morning, I realized I posted the incorrect information. When the traction control light is illuminated on yourinstrument panel- the traction control system is OFF. Toturn it on, press the button previously described. At which point, the light will go out, indicating the system is ON and ready for any potential slip. When the system is activated due to a slip, the light on your instrument panel will flash, to signify it's correcting the slip.

I have personally found that the traction control system (and ABS systems) are a bit oversensitive. To that point, I often turn my traction control system off and use my manual transmission to control wheel spin. It's just a personal preference, but you may want to try it - even if your wagon is an automatic. Give it a whirl!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Great information mine is an automatic ,but I believe the button on my shifter controls the overide on and off. Where do I find the button for the traction control?[:-]

Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 PM

The system should default to ON every time the car is turned on. If the light is staying on all the time, this means that your T/C system is non functional. My first guess would be an ABS wheel speed sensor causing a fault in the system. My 2005 ST did this for about an hour last winter in some really bad driving conditions but righted itself after the undercarriage thawed out.