Ford Enthusiast Unofficial Resource

Go Back   Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Ford Cars > Ford Focus
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Ford Forum!
Welcome to Ford Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Why Can't I Replace my Air Filter?

I live on the outskirts of town here in the Phoenix Arizona area. Man, can it ever get dusty here. In fact, there's lots of new construction out here on the east side of the Metro area so it's very dusty nearly all the time. Now imagine how it sounded when I took my 2006 Focus Wagon in for an oil change and wanted air and oil filter replacements and the tech told me that he couldn't change the air filter. ??Huh!?? I know there are K&N HEPA filters that can be washed in hot, soapy water but he said there wasn't even a listing for any new part. Later, I went to a large Ford dealership and they also could find no part number at all for a new filter. They also knew of no way to clean whatever my car has for an intake filter element. Let me remind you again of how dusty it gets here. You know those scenes on the news of the Iraqi desert where you can see only a few feet in front of the camera? Well, it's like that here too when the monsoon storms blow in durning the summer. I'm sorry to say but I simply could not accept that my new car would NEVER EVER need a new air filter out here in the Southwestern desert. When my 16 year old daughter needed her 1st car I decided to buy a new Toyota, Yaris for her. How can I trust people who tell me my new car is happy "eating" all that desert dust?

I'm thinking of replacing the whole 2006 Focus with a Toyota before the intake clogs up completely unless I can get a staight answer from Ford to this question: How do I either replace or clean my 2006 Focus intake air filter? Come on now. This is the last chance. I want a real answer or I'm gone to Toyota before my Focus chokes-off completely.

Joe.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:13 PM

Default RE: Why Can't I Replace my Air Filter?

I talk to the tech by me in IL and he said that it should be replaced about every 60,000 miles. Then told me that its about $260 to replace just for the part. He also saidits dumbest thing he's seen in awhile on a ford. So when it comes time for me im going to get a cold air intake, its about the same price and im hopeing for even better gas milage. O yeah i have a 2006 Foucs withabout 40,000 on it.
Andrew
Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 PM

My sisters focus has around 75,000 miles and the inidcator has barely ever moved into the red area still lots of green left, has the same non replaceable type, is this something anyone can replace or is it hard. We have been wondering if we should change it after 7 years so far. Is it a whole unit or just the filter gets replaced? Also on the why did they do it thing my dads 05 explorer has no dipstick for the trans fluid. It has to be pumped out and refilled through 2 nipples in the bottom of the pan. After draining out the fluid I found this out. Of course then I had to quickly figure out how to refill it. What a hassle.
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by mikegigabyte; 04-20-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Alot of vehicles don`t have transmission dipsticks anymore.Honda Passport,Chevrolet Cavalier are 2 that come to mind I am certain there are others.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM

I wouldn't listen to the dealer just go by napa and pick up a new filter. If they don't have regular ones go to a K&N air filter. This is how to do it on my car. http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/change_air_filter.htmif you decide to put in a K&N air filter instead, you do it the same way, it might be a little tighter but still is the same way. It is really easy. Good luck
Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM

you cant find filters at Napa or K&N. You would have to put in a cold air intake to make it easy to replace filter.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 PM

Default About Ford Focus Air Filter...

Ford Focus from 2002-2007 (as far as i know)
Your Ford Focus air filter is located on the passenger side.
you must make your windshield wiper blades point upwards.
Pop the hood of your car and lift.
Right beneath where the windshield wiper blades normally rest you will see the black dimpled plastic liner (don't know how else to explain it)
You will see 4 clips beneath it clipping it in.
Pop all four clips
Before you try taking it off, look at the black dimpled protector and see if there is a little black round cap that is right in the middle of it. If there is take the cap off and take out the screw (flat head)
once removed and clips released take off the black dimpled protector and walla there is your air filter.
What you do from there is up to you.

hope that helped
Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM

I believe he's talking about the engine air filter, not the cabin air filter.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM

Just wanted to let the group know that complete replacement aftermarket filters are available on eBay in the $150 range. My mileage was down in the low 20's due to the filter and after installing a new one (about 1-1/2 hour job) it's back up near where it was when the car was new. By the way, my indicator was still well in the green too. Most engine manufacturers say 20-25 inches of water is the maximum filter restriction that should be allowed before filter replacement. Ford seems to have covered the "lifetime" part of the filter by using an indicator that, at least in my case, took almost 75 inches of water to go red. Needless to say, I purchased a non-Ford aftermarket indicator from Amazon that actually gives inches of water readings not just colors and it is calibrated to go red around 25 ".
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 AM

I had also went to my local maintenance center when I asked for an oil change and air filter replacement, and they said it would cost about $2,000?! And would involve the removing of the entire passenger side suspension and of course brakes etc. After being absolutely horrified I went to my Ford dealer and they said it was a 60,000 mile replacement and would cost me around $250. So keeping the labor at Ford dealers is the idea I guess...
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Tags
2003, 2006, 2007, air, airfilter, change, changing, escape, f150, filter, focus, ford, location, replace, replacement