Ford Enthusiast Unofficial Resource

Go Back   Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Ford Trucks, Ford Vans & Ford SUV's > Ford Freestar
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Ford Forum!
Welcome to Ford Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Unhappy '04 freestar

My 04 freestar with 105,489 miles is randomly bucking/stalling like it has water in fuel. found misfiring of cylinders. changed coil and still misfire but now in different cylinders than before. found it to be the computer. sent it out to be rebuilt/refurbished. now back in vehicle yet still misfires/stalls while driving. it had the 100,000 mile tune-up. what is going on??
Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Can you provide a little more info, like what kind of engine it has?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 AM

4.2 v6
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
2010 Lincoln MKZ
My Garage

What did your 100,000 mile "Tune-Up" consist of? And how didi it run/act before the "Tune-Up"?
1979 Gilson 32" 10HP Snowblower
2007 Generac 17.5Kw Generator w/33HP Twin-Cylinder engine
Farmhand 3-Cylinder air compressor

AMSOIL Lubricants and Filters in everything

"Have a good day, and a better one tomorrow"
Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Common Sense View Post
What did your 100,000 mile "Tune-Up" consist of? And how didi it run/act before the "Tune-Up"?
The check engine light came on and I think it ran rough at that time. The required 100000 mile parts were changed. Had it towed to garage for repair.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM

Anybody have an answer?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM
2010 Lincoln MKZ
My Garage

Could be a flakey CAMSHAFT position sensor or the CAMSHAFT Synchronizer causing your problem. Both send information to the ECU for spark tining and firing.
1979 Gilson 32" 10HP Snowblower
2007 Generac 17.5Kw Generator w/33HP Twin-Cylinder engine
Farmhand 3-Cylinder air compressor

AMSOIL Lubricants and Filters in everything

"Have a good day, and a better one tomorrow"
Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 AM

Default 04 Ford Freestar Problems

Please, please go to NHTSA and file a complaint. This part is obviously defective from DAY ONE. I took to mechanic who said alternator was overcharging. He put on a new alternator--still overcharging. Said it was PCM issue removed new alternator and replaced it with the original alternator. This is the exact same issue in Oct/Nov 11 when we ultimately had dealer replace PCM to the tune of $1000plus. Took to dealer in ealry June 12, described issue, they insisted it was alternator--put on 4 different alternators over the course of the week. Every one experienced the same issue. Said Ford kept telling them to do so. Finally found a PCM on lot and replaced it in my car--IT WORKED! GUESS WHAT. PCMs are on backorder for who knows how long. Ford Corporate complaint to get rental car not authorized. So in addition to a deathtrap due to a torque convertor that parts are not in, I am in a deathtrap that the entire electrical system could shut down on a moments's notice. Dealer advises not to drive vehicle. So what am I supposed to do for transportation?? When will a PCM be available--I can't be the only one waiting on this part (maybe that should be an indicator that this is a recall issue!) Please visit NHTSA and file a complaint since not enough people have done so. This is an obvious safety issue and this car was obviously sold with PCM issues. Just check the numerous technical service bulletins
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 AM

the mechanic shold be able to take it out and send to be rebuilt, reprogramed, or something with repairing the unit. They had mine done.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 AM

Tags
04, 2004, 42, bit, change, coil, ford, freestar, misfires, multiple, random, randoms, rought, runs, shutdowns, stalls