Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

05 freestar starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Default 05 freestar starting problem.

05 freestar would not start? turn key and will hesitate and when it does guages flutter for few seconds then runs fine. radio resets after sitting for awhile. just started few days ago with wife and kids. have had since new and no major problems. shop tested battery and alt. they said fine? if i turn key it will be normal or hesitate and guages flutter? any help would be gratefull.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 AM

If it was me, being that the battery is 5 years old, I would perform the following as its the easiest thing to do and it sounds like a power/connection issue.

1. Remove battery terminals and clean the battery posts and the inside of the battery terminals. Poor connections can cause the problem your having and the battery still test OK.

2. While the terminals are disconnected, remove the battery cover if it has one to expose the cell caps.

3. Remove the 2 cell caps and ensure that the water/electrolyte level is up to snuff as 5 years of use will evaporate the fluid (hotter climates even more). Fluid levels at or below the plates can also cause the problem your having and the battery still test OK. Top off with distilled water (To the bottom of the fill tubes).

4. Re-install the cell caps and the battery cover (I thew my battery cover in the garage).

5. Apply a thin coating of dielectrical grease to the battery post and inside of the battery terminals.

6. Re-connect the battery terminals and apply a coating of dielectrical grease to the outside of the battery terminals.

7. Never believe the "EYE" in the battery. Mine has been RED for the past 4 years and still tests OK for POST to POST and CELL to CELL voltage, load and specific gravity.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Post freestar starting issues.

thank you for the responce. i checked the battery and connections with no luck..the eye ia green. it has 46k miles and do not live by shops. on coast in wash. i am so stumped. i will try again with connections. after running it starts right away if sits for few minutes it hesitates and guages flutter then runs normal. radio resets it self which means power loss ? thank you again for help.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Default freestar starting issues

to common sense again thanks.. i added water as it was little low. the battery eye now shows red. i am going to let it set on charger for a few to see. i had checked water yesterday and looked fine but reading your post i decided to add this time and it took 20 oz total. if works i will post again after punching myself for being stupid...

Old 05-14-2010, 07:01 AM

How far from the coast? Close enough to be exposed to salt mist? I would also check all of the ground connections under the black housing that covers the radiator support. There are multiple ground conncetions on both sides. Also check the lead that is grounded to the A/C Dryer/Accumulator. I would clean these real good and apply dielectrical grease to these also. I live in the salt belt here in Yorkshire, NY. These have cause me drivability issues before. They can also cause all kinds of gremlins. I check my connections and battery fluid level every Spring and Fall.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 05-14-2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Keyboard doesn't know how to spell...
Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 PM

a loose starter wire will cause this.....