Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 ford freestar electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Default Locating Ground near drivers side kick panel

Good morning,
I have a question for you.
I had no trouble locating any of the other ground connections as they are for the most part open or easily accessible. The one by the kick panel is more elusive. I haven't been able to locate an obvious ground wire in that area. Can you point me to it?

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Just a thought, but have you checked and cleaned all of the multiple grounds used by Ford on the Freestar for communications? A bad gound can cause all kinds of weird things to happen. I had a bad ground by the driver's side kick panel that was actually causing my van to randomly start (yes, engine fire up and run with no key) by its self. Took the Ford Tech and Ford Engineers over a month to figure that one out. I once left the ground off that's located by the A/C accumulator when I repaired my A/C and the side doors opened by themselves and would not stay closed along with the headlights came on and stayed on. There are several grounds located under the black radiator support cover.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 AM

Here you go, right below the hood release, a single ground and a multi-point ground. These were the ones that were causing my van to start on it's own when it felt like it (notice the paint sanded away? Was done per Ford Engineer's request). I have a 2004, I would assume that Ford left them in the same place for the 2205-2007 units, but one never knows...

Attached Thumbnails 2004 ford freestar electrical issues-freestar-kick_panel-grounds.jpg  

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 07-13-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Default Freestar electrical system

Thanks, I appreciate your Quick response. My Freestar is also a 2004. I found the grounds. I was reluctant to start pulling more panels until I was sure that I was looking in the right place. Both connections were in place and tight but I did as you had suggested and removed and replaced them after sanding the paint away to insure a clean connection. (I had done that earlier when I checked the grounds under the radiator cover). I haven't taken it out for a test drive yet as I am in the middle of another project but, as always, I have high hopes.

Here you go, right below the hood release, a single ground and a multi-point ground. These were the ones that were causing my van to start on it's own when it felt like it (notice the paint sanded away? Was done per Ford Engineer's request). I have a 2004, I would assume that Ford left them in the same place for the 2205-2007 units, but one never knows...

Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Good luck...It would be nice if it works...You next step I guess would be to start logging the codes and post them here...

Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Default Fingers crossed

I have been holding off this response trying to make sure that the fix was really working. It has been two weeks since I reworked the last ground wire connections and I am happy to report not a single engine stutter or hesitation so far. To those Freestar owners that are still experiencing electrical problems, don't give up, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks to Use Common Sense. The best advice usually comes from someone who has "Been there, done that, Got the T Shirt".

Originally Posted by Boomerang53
Thanks, I appreciate your Quick response. My Freestar is also a 2004. I found the grounds. I was reluctant to start pulling more panels until I was sure that I was looking in the right place. Both connections were in place and tight but I did as you had suggested and removed and replaced them after sanding the paint away to insure a clean connection. (I had done that earlier when I checked the grounds under the radiator cover). I haven't taken it out for a test drive yet as I am in the middle of another project but, as always, I have high hopes.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 PM

Glad to hear all is still OK.

The Freestar was Fords real first attempt to rely on a grounding network for communications throughout the vehicles systems.

Not only "Been there, done that, Got the T Shirt"....But still drinking coffee...

Old 08-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Thumbs up Everything works better after a cup of coffee

Maybe by this time they will have incorporated into the robotic system a small grinder with an alignment pin that will remove the paint from the areas before they attach the grounding wires. That might work better than relying on the threads of the bolt to clear the paint.
(I too am addicted to my coffee. My new favorite is McDonald's in the K cup.)

Glad to hear all is still OK.

The Freestar was Fords real first attempt to rely on a grounding network for communications throughout the vehicles systems.

Not only "Been there, done that, Got the T Shirt"....But still drinking coffee...

Old 08-03-2015, 04:04 AM

That would make too much sense.