Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Freestar A/C repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Default 2004 Freestar A/C repair

OK, My turn...

The A/C compressor on my 2004 Freestar Limited siezed up on me, so I'm doing the repair myself as usual. I have installed a new compressor, condenser, dryer/accumulator, rear expansion valve and Polymax non-hydroscopic oil. Iwill also be installing an in-line filter w/sight glass on the high pressure line before the "Y" to the front and rear evaporators. The front A/C lines have been flushed of all oil and debris, along with the rear evaporator and it's return line. All that's left is removing and replacing the front orifice and flushing the high pressure side lines to the front and rear evaporators along with the front evaporator. The problem I have is trying to get the line broke open to replace the front orifice. The shop manual is useless at this point. Does anybody know what size these two nuts are? And how is one supposed to get them broken apart in such a tight area as the line with the orifice is basically butted up against the firewall? Thank's for any help.

SIDE NOTE:
The compressor didn't suffer from the dreaded "BLACK DEATH". It just started to chatter and siezed up. The oil in the system was still clean except for all of the nice shiny aluminum particals. Also, the system is supposed to have 13 oz. of oil in it. I have only recovered about 4 oz. so far. The compressor basically had no oil in it when I removed it. I suspect that my system was short changed with only 8 oz. of oil from the factory.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Default RE: 2004 Freestar A/C repair

Well, was finally able to get the line broke loose and the front orifice removed. Finally found in the shop manual the you have to remove the wiper arms, upper and lower cowling and air intake housing. This provided direct access to the fittings. Flushed the front evaporator and installed the new orifice. Buttoned the system all up and pressurized with nitrogen to check for leaks. Pulled a vacuum down to 240 microns and recharged with 53 oz of R-134a. Vent output temp is 44-45 degrees with a 87 degree ambient outside temp. Low side reading 47-PSI and High side reading 230-PSI. Both front and rear A/C working great.

Suspect my compressor failure was two-fold. I recovered only 7 oz. of oil from the system where it should have had 12-13 oz. I also split the compressor open and found surface rust on the steel valve plates

This project is completed, now I have that pesky little "TRAC OFF" gremlin popping up...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Unhappy Direction of orifice

I was just wondering which direction the orifice tube goes into the line. I feel as though mine may have been put in wrong, but I don't want to take it apart until I know for sure which direction it goes.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 AM

The long plastic side that houses the filter (mesh) faces down towards the ground. Not sure if it can actually be inserted upside down. However, it would suprise me if somebody did it though.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:52 AM

Did you add all the oil to the compressor, or did you add it to the dryer?

My new compressor came with 6oz, I'm just not sure where to add the other 7 oz.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:34 AM

The other 7 oz. of oil will get added to the dryer.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:09 AM

Does it matter what side of the dryer?

Got my filter all buttoned up, and its ready to go once the dryer is installed.

Attached Thumbnails  2004 Freestar A/C repair-wp_20150701_01_58_41_pro.jpg  
Old 07-01-2015, 11:17 PM

High Side filter install looks good...Too bad there's no sight glass like mine to see if you pass any leftover debris into the filter.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
High Side filter install looks good...Too bad there's no sight glass like mine to see if you pass any leftover debris into the filter.

Wish there was, but from the pics, it looks like they are no longer on the filters from the site that you got.. that one was $30 from Amazon.