Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Freestar rear lift gate handle

Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

The instructions are to gain access to the handle/latch for a replacement/repair. Hope they help..

Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Default Liftgate handle

In reviewing all of the posts concerning the liftgate handle coming off I have never seen anyone comment on whether or not the liftgate was unlocked before trying to pull it open. If the lock is open it takes very little pressure to unlatch the liftgate, and you can both feel and hear it unlatch.
Granted, the handle system was poorly engineered, but I would suggest that if the door does not unlatch with a gentle pull, check to make sure that it is unlocked before pulling any harder. This might save a lot of grief.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Default No handle 2005 Freestar

Ok i have been dealing with NOT being able to open the rear hatch for 2 years.. The dealership wanted $385 to repair the latch since mine apparently WAS broken inside.. Some plastic peice snapped.. Figures plastic.. yeah whatever... and have misplaced the handle. LOL You would think i would have put it somewhere i wouldnt forget but oh well.. After 2 years I finally managed to get the back hatch open since i had a tail light out and had to replace that... but after removing the door panel, i was able to rig a cord around the metal latch pull inside the door thread it through the inside of the panel to the back seat and can now open the hatch from the inside.. now the question is.. is it possible to find the latch / handle kit somewhere?? I am sure i can do it myself for cheaper than the dealership wants.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM

Besides searching the Internet, I would suggest checking with your local salvage yards. They might be able to find the part for you.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 AM

Yeah, i think that to replace liftgate handle you have to remove the license plate and interior panel gate also...i hope this information will help you.

Last edited by adriand10; 12-12-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Default 2005 Freestar broken liftgate

I see the broken liftgate issue is rather common. If I could get the repair instructions as well, I would be forever grateful. Thank you.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 AM

Contact me at minnesotamike at charter.net and I can forward you the instructions that I have.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Default 2004 Ford Freestar Lift Gate Handle Came off

Same thing just happened on our 2004 ford freestar....the handle came right off. The only access I have from the inside door panel is a small 2 by 2 square which allows access to the door lock actuator. I opened the door using two pairs of plyers, but not sure what to do now to reattach the handle. Can someone send me the instructions....thanks

Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 PM

HI, I just fixed my handle today. thanks for the posts. Keeping the handle from moving side to side I slid a couple of small tie straps onto the shaft that rotates and it should work just fine.

Interestingly when I took the whole ABS plastic module out 4 of 5 studs were already broken. I was almost on the road to retrieve a known salvage part that I had found, but instead I thought I'd try 2-part expoxy from NAPA. (5 minute cure). Sure enough that worked, so I have re-installed everything and so far so good.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM

peterscott,

You need to remove the inside panel of the door and then reattach the handle. Provided you don't have any broken parts, it should stay in place for you. I do have some diagrams, if needed. Just email at the address in the post above yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Freestar rear lift gate handle