Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Limited Still rolling like new at 102,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Default 2004 Limited Still rolling like new at 102,000 miles

Well, performed my version of a 100,000 mile service to my Freestar this past week-end (102,190 miles).

1. Had to replace the P/S pump. Pump died last Monday on the way home from work. What a BEAR to turn with no P/S. About 10x worse than manual steering. Replaced the pump and flush new AMSOIL ATF thru the system. Quiet as a mouse and turns like new.

2. Flushed the brake system and installed new AMSOIL Series 500 High-Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid . WOW, the old fluid was almost black and contained crud and some shinies in it.

3. Found all caliper free floating and unlike what I would normally find since I drilled the caliper pin holes out a hair bigger. So, looks like no more HUNG calipers.

4. Dropped the tranny pan and replaced the filter (WIX 58822), then did a 100% fluid replacement with AMSOIL ATF. Pan was just plain clean. Unlike the filter and fluid change I did at 31,000 miles (pan was full of serious crud) and performed a 100% fluid exchange with AMSOIL. Still shifts like it did the day I drove it off the lot 7 years ago with 62 miles on it.

5. Performed a full cooling system flush including both heater cores and installed fresh Prestone Extended-Life antifreeze with AMSOIL Coolant Boost.

6. Pulled the iridium plugs and checked them. Nice clean burn and still look like new. slapped in a new set of iridiums (TR55IX) with some copper anti-sieze and dielectrical grease.

7. Installed a new AMSOIL air filter (EAA210) with a pre-filter.

8. Put the gauges on the A/C system. Running 35/240PSI and 32-33° at the evaporator and 40-42° out the vents. Nice and cool for an 90° day.

9. Spent 7 hours washing, claying, hand waxing and cleaning the interior. Looks and runs like a new vehicle.

10. Probably did some other stuff that I forgot.

11. Oil and oil filter gets changed once a year every September with AMSOIL 10W-30 (ATM) and AMSOIL EAO34 Filter. Uses less than 1/2 quart between oil changes.

12. Absolutely NO LEAKS anywhere.

So, all in all, I should be good to go for another 100,000 miles

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 06-21-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Default Tranny fluid change

You went 31000m on your first tranny oil change, 71,000 on your second, now you are going 100000 on your third?

Just curious!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:28 AM

Not quite...

Bought the Freestar new. Drove it for 31,000 miles and changed the filter and tranny fluid (1st fluid /filter change). AMSOIL ATF is good for 100,000 miles. However, since I found all of the crud when I dropped the pan the first time and I wanted to see what it looked like after 70,000 miles of AMSOIL in it. Plus, since 100,000 miles seemed like a nice number, I went and changed the filter and fluid at 102,000 miles (2nd fluid/filter change). Too busy at work to do it right at 100,000 miles. So it has only had 2 tranny filter/fluid changes. Ford recommends tranny fluid changes every 30,000 miles for these critters even with the MERCON V fluid, while AMSOIL is 100,000 miles. Besides an extended mileage usage, another benefit of using AMSOIL ATF in the tranny is that the tranny will run 20-50° cooler internally as less heat is generated thru reduced friction and what heat there is, is released easier. Thus the shifting is also smoother with cooler fluid.

**** NOTE ***
I found my braided ground strap under the van corroded thru from the WNY road salt. It connects from the exhaust to the body. Installed a new one. This led me to check the ground connection on the tranny. Removed the strap bolt on the front of the tranny, cleaned the surfaces, coated with dielectrical grease and re-installed. A bad tranny ground/ ground strap can cause all kinds of tranny related drivability issues. So before having a so call "FAILED" tranny worked on, check the tranny ground first before assuming the tranny has actually failed. Make sure it has a good clean connection. The These grounds are normally a braided strap that are an RF type and used to eliminate or reduce ground loop induced noise and electrostatic discharge that can affect your electronics. The cable doesn't need to be of the FLAT type, just needs to be a braided cable. The braiding causes the RF signals to be cancel each other out.

Remember, FORD uses a proprietary PCM modulation software to communicate over the ground system. That's why grounds are needed on everything and must be clean. Just look under your black plastic cover that covers the radiator support. There are about 7 seperate grounds there alone.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 06-24-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:15 AM

That makes sense! I am gradually getting around to using Amsoil in everything also. When I had the tranny rebuilt, I had them refill with synthetic but the shop used Quaker State. At my next change I'll switch it. I know what you mean about running cooler, I use it in my Harley and the temp. gauge barely moves off the pin. Others with the same bike complain of running hot. I have also looked into a spin on filter kit with temp gauge for the tranny. They are only about $100. May add a cooler while I am at it.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:09 AM

Well, it's been quite some time since my 04 Freestar had a good leg stretching since it's daily life consists of 9 miles to work and 9 miles home. Just took it on a road trip to Jackson, MI. for the week-end. Drove a total of 900 miles, which puts the van at almost 117,000 miles. Not one peep out of the van to and from. Averaged 21-MPG running an average of 75-MPH on the highway. Still driving, running and shifting like the day we drove it off the lot new in April 2004. Took 3/4 tank of gas to get to Jackson and 3/4 tank to return.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:30 AM

You went 31000m on your first tranny oil change, 71,000 on your second, now you are going 100000 on your third?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 AM

Well, Starting a 5,000 mile road trip today. Will give the Freestar at really good leg streatching. Heading to NM, then to AZ. Loaded down with stuff, 4 adults and a 5 year old. Will be an interesting trip. Freestar has been performing flawlessly so we'll see how it goes. Since I run a full sized spare tire and the extra load I'll have, I installed a set of AirLift 1000 air bags. I've never had the spare tire hit the road surface, and don't want to start at this point. The ride is still smooth with them in at 5psi (min). Presently have them set at 35psi (max) for the trip. Will update the trip results in a couple of weeks.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Limited Still rolling like new at 102,000 miles-start-road-trip-01.jpg   2004 Limited Still rolling like new at 102,000 miles-start-road-trip-02.jpg   2004 Limited Still rolling like new at 102,000 miles-start-road-trip-04.jpg   2004 Limited Still rolling like new at 102,000 miles-start-road-trip-05.jpg  

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 09-27-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Well, Starting a 5,000 mile road trip today. Will give the Freestar at really good leg streatching. Heading to NM, then to AZ. Loaded down with stuff, 4 adults and a 5 year old. Will be an interesting trip. Freestar has been performing flawlessly so we'll see how it goes. Since I run a full sized spare tire and the extra load I'll have, I installed a set of AirLift 1000 air bags. I've never had the spare tire hit the road surface, and don't want to start at this point. The ride is still smooth with them in at 5psi (min). Presently have them set at 35psi (max) for the trip. Will update the trip results in a couple of weeks.
They never changed the installation instructions for the Freestars. I called them in May of 2006 and told them the instructions had you installing them upside down. You can run the fill line in allong the frame rail right behind the top of the spring purch and down thru the top. I had them on a '95 and on my '06. When I got rid of the popup I quit checking them enough and end up with a crack in one due to being under the 5psi and moving around. I am now using the monroe shock with coilover. It is a preset coil and they work great for the average to heavy load. The Airlifts work the best for leveling the van under high load condition (250 + pound of tounge weight). If you keep them aired up or eventually install the pump system (manual or automatic) they will last quite a while. I had 40K miles on mine.

FYI: Its a pain in the but, however you can remove the bags and turn them right side up. Best done in warmer weather. If you have a spring puller even easier.

Last edited by tomb1269; 09-19-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:19 AM

Been running the Monroe COIL-OVERS for quite a few years now on the Freestar. Had no issues with the air bags. Now that I'm back, I'll probably set the pressure at 7-10 PSI. Van ran like a champ until we arrived at our destination (Queen Creek, AZ). The van copped an attitude and needed a new alternator (lighting, starting issue) and cam syncronizer (bird chirping and stalling). Ford wanted $375 for a rebuit alternator and Autozone wanted $140. Since it's only 3 bolts, 1 nut and about a 5 minute job to replace the alternator, I went with the Autozone LIFETIME unit. Big price difference with the cam syncronizer also. For $65, went with a new Cardone unit from Autozone also with a lifetime warranty. The cam syncronizer took me about 2 hours (draining the coolant, disconnecting the steel and rubber coolant hoses amd unbolting the P/S pump to make room to do the replacement). Otherwise that job is also quite easy. Van ran like a champ back. It's now at 126,170 miles. Had no tranny issues what so ever.

Overall fuel mileage running 70-85MPH gave 15.97 MPG to AZ. After unloading the wind brick on the roof plus other weight inside the van, the return trip gave 24.53 MPG.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Limited Still rolling like new at 102,000 miles-end-road-trip.jpg  

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 09-27-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:53 AM

Can ask to you, the trip, you spent how much money in total, a ballpark.

---------------------------------
Game of Thrones 3

Quick Reply: 2004 Limited Still rolling like new at 102,000 miles