Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Limited TRAC Control and ABS lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Default 2004 Limited TRAC Control and ABS lights

Well, just got the pesky TRACTION CONTROL and ABS lights lit. Both came on at the same time. All was working fine. Got out of the van at the store and when I got back and restarted the van, those ltwo ights didn't cycle off. Since my Cruise control is working, I suspect an ABS issue affecting the traction control since neither works. Since we have tons of snow, the van loaded with dirty salty ice and in the low teens outside, I will have to wait for 25-30 degree weather to play with this. I will update this post in case somebody else ends up with this issue in the future.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 AM

Update:

Well, finally got a chance to work on my TRACTION CONTROL/ABS issue. Found the ABS sensor for the right front hub in an open condition when metering it. Fortunately, it was just still under warranty. Lights are out and all is working correctly.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Default Same Problem, Same fix

Had exact same problem, Only difference is that the cruise control would not work either...
Defective ABS sensor..no ABS warning light however..just a non functionning Advance trak and the cruise control..

Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 AM

Yep... Been there also (left front couple of years ago). If the TRAC OFF comes on with no ABS light and you have the message system that allows you to hit the RESET, it will normally allow the Cruise to continue to start working until you restart the vehicle, then you;ll have to hit the reset again.

Just had my TRAC and ABS lights come back on again yesterday...RATS...This time it's the left rear sensor. No continuity thru the sensor. Fortunatly, these are replaceable sensors and don't need a complete hub assembly. $55 is better than $250. Must be 81,000 miles and it's 6th winter season must be the magic combo for the gremlins to crop back up. Also have to find the time to track down which "Will work when I feel like it" BACK-UP sensor it acting up. Sun shining and snow finally melting will make all of this much more easier.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 AM

Well, looks like the gremlins are getting an early start on me. Installed the new sensor and now I have no frequency output from the hub itself. Went ahead and ordered a left and right rear hub. Figure if one is gone, then the other will be shortly. Besides, this way at 81,000 miles the van will have new hubs/sensors all around. With 6 years of salt and corrosion, this will probably be a HEAT and DESTROY project this Saturday.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:07 PM

Well...Finally had time to work on the Freestar. Started pin-pointing the problem. Was showing an open between the L/R sensor and the module. Started tracing the wiring and out of shear luck, I found the problem. Was a "GREEN" wire at the connector by the front corner of the fuel tank. Strange thing was is that the connector was OK and the "GREEN" point was about 2" from the connector. The casing for the wire has a pin hole in it and looked like somebody pushed a pin thru the casing. What's even strainger, is that the van has never been on a lift except for state inspection at the local Dealership. Make one wonder. Was kind of a bear to fix, but it's all fixed and the ABS and TRAC-CONTROL is working as designed...