Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2005 Ford Freestar 4.2L interior/dash swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Question 2005 Ford Freestar 4.2L interior/dash swap

Sorry for the long winded approach, but want to give as much info as I can to have the most info provided to me.

I have a pair of 2005 Ford Freestars at home, one has all the bells and whistles (leather, power/heated seats, lit/signal/heated mirrors, digital temp control, power sliders, power lift-gate, power pedals, power locks/windows) the other has no options other than DVD player and power locks/windows. Both are 4.2L and automatic.

I am planning on swapping all of the options from the full load into the base model one. I just have some questions about what electrical controllers will be required to transfer with everything.

Before anyone asks, I am doing this as the base model has 108xxxkms (68xxxmi) and the full load has 355xxxkms (225xxxmi) as well the full load seems to have a blown transmission (intermittent driving, doesn't go anywhere at all but if i jack up the front or back to put the van on an angle and then put it flat it will drive 20ft before quitting again).

Can the power slider doors and liftgate (only the mechanics and electrical of it) be swapped directly?

Are all the control modules programmed at factory for all options and just different harnesses run? Or do I need to swap all of the harnesses and modules over as well?

Does anything on the heater core need to be changed for the digital controls (low km van has manual turn ***** but other has digital)?

Any additional pointer/tips that could help would be wonderful. I sort of dove straight into the job without actually finding solid information regarding this kind of thing (mostly because I have yet to see custom ford freestars with swaps done haha). I have the seats all out and ready to be installed, the dash is almost out of the high mileage van and then the low mileage one will be pulled once everything is ready for simply installing it.