Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2005 ford freestar limited track off light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Same issue I was having with my 2004. Sometimes it would come on driving down the driveway, 1/10 mile down the road or 10 miles down the road. My 04 Limited was popping the "TRAC OFF" constantly at any speed and distance (bad brake pressure sensor switch). But it always came on. Yours could also be a bad brake pressure sensor switch. It took me about 2 months to fix. I had the part, but it took me that long to get around to actually replacing it. It's a 15 minute job if you drink a cup of coffee. Remove the air cleaner housing and MAF sensor housing/tube for access. The sensor screws into the bottom front of the master cylinder. Just unplug the sensor, unscrew it (a few drops of brake fluid will come out) and screw in a new one. Ford part number is "7F2Z9F924A". I paid $23.82 + tax at the local FORD dealer.
I have been following your posts since I bought my 2004 Freestar 9 months ago. This problem report could have been written about my van and you wouldn't have had to change a single letter. I read your post, called the Ford dealer immediately and ordered the Pressure sensor switch. I picked the part up this morning and installed it. I was able to change it without removing the air intake assemble. Using an extra long 7/8 open end wrench I was able to loosen the switch 1/2 turn to reposition and release the electrical connector and then the switch came out the rest of the way by hand. Test drive was beautiful. I could turn the traction control off and on with the switch for the first time
As usual you hit the nail on the head with this one and I thank you for taking the time to help. Did you ever think of writing a book. Maybe with the title FREESTAR FOR DUMMIES? We might need it if you ever sell your Freestar.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 AM

Boomerang53..

Thanks for the KUDOOS...My freestar just rolled 111,000 miles today. Still running like the day I bought it. The only gremlin I have is the back-up sensor system. Works when it feels like it. However, since I learned how to back-up a vehicle when I was 8 years old, I pretty much have a handle on it. Some day I may fix it (If I'm THAT bored ).

Anyways...Always ready to try and help if and when I can...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Mr. Use Common Sense enjoyed your reply and don't want you to think you're alone with repairing the back-up problem. I'm sure you've heard the sayings; the plumber's faucets leak, the shoemaker's shoes have holes in them etc., There are probably plenty of techs that have vehicles with minor , can do without features working, and I am another one of them. It's nice to know that I'm not alone either! Have a good one!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 AM

Hanky...You got that right...As long as it's clean, runs good and safe, I'm good to go.

People always tell me..."Man, you're vehicle's always run so great"...

I always say..."Yep, if you take care of them, they'll always take care of you"...

Then I always hear..."You vehicles are so clean and look like new"...

I always say..."Yep, And like I always say...if I wanted to drive a garbage truck, I would have bought one".

Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 AM

To hanky and Use Common Sense.
My area of expertise is a bit different than yours, but it appears that we share one trait. I don't necessarily need every bell and whistle to work, but it drives me nuts to think that I can't figure out how to fix it. I was trained as a Radar and Electronic anti-aircraft fire control repairman. We couldn't take the thing back to the dealer for service.
I will stay in touch with the Forum. Who knows what will quit next.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:01 PM

Common Sense - Thank You!! Thank You!! Thank You!!!!!! You just saved me a bunch of dealer wasted money. Had the same problem with the trac light and also the cruise control. Ordered the new $ 30 part and the next day all was fixed.

Thanks Again.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:33 AM

table_4_3

Glad to were able to fix your issue. I'm at about 158,500 miles and fixing to run my Freestar to Florida for a week to stretch its legs in a couple of days, and then out to Arizona in the Aug/Sep time frame for a longer stretch. Only thing that still doesn't work in my back-up sensor system (just don't care as I learned to back up when I was 12yrs old ). Happy trails and enjoy the unused jingle'$$$ in your pocket.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Default Back up sensor

UCS, I understand learning to back up at a young age, but I have also learned to like those back-up-sensors. I left my wheelbarrow sitting in front of the garage door a couple of days ago when I had shuttled some trash to the trash bin. Completely forgot about it. Some time later as I was backing out of the garage the thing beeped crazily. If not for the sensors I could have done some unsightly, and possibly expensive damage to my Freestar hind quarters. I couldn't see it at all through my mirrors.
Enjoy your trip!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 04:18 AM

Back from the trip. Racked up just over 3,000 miles. Averaged 20.3 MPG round trip. Van ran like new except for when MORON in Orlando decided to cut left 2 lanes right in front of me and I had to hammer the brakes to bring the van to a stop. The engine stalled out with me in the middle of 5 lanes of traffic. Restarted the engine and it was stumbling and stalling and would not idle over 400 RPMs. Got it back to where we were staying and stuck my head under the hood. It was acting like the IAC that I replaced about 3 months ago. Went to put the connector off and founs that it wasn't even connected. HUMMMMM...Last place my van was at was the Dealership for the 3rd seat recall. The disconnected the battery to do the work. Suspect they also unlocked the IAC hoping the issue I just experienced would bring the can in for repair. I DON'T THINK SO.....It's pretty bad when dearships stoop this low. Had my wife, son, daughter-in-law, and 6 yr old, 2 yr old and 9 month old grandkids in the van at the time. Other than that, the trip was great.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Boomerang53
I have been following your posts since I bought my 2004 Freestar 9 months ago. This problem report could have been written about my van and you wouldn't have had to change a single letter. I read your post, called the Ford dealer immediately and ordered the Pressure sensor switch. I picked the part up this morning and installed it. I was able to change it without removing the air intake assemble. Using an extra long 7/8 open end wrench I was able to loosen the switch 1/2 turn to reposition and release the electrical connector and then the switch came out the rest of the way by hand. Test drive was beautiful. I could turn the traction control off and on with the switch for the first time
As usual you hit the nail on the head with this one and I thank you for taking the time to help. Did you ever think of writing a book. Maybe with the title FREESTAR FOR DUMMIES? We might need it if you ever sell your Freestar.
Same thing here, on my mother-in-laws Freestar. The dealer shop in Meridian, MS told her they would have to replace the anti-lock brake system controller and the pressure sensor... I replaced the sensor and the whole TRACK message issue is resolved.

Quick Reply: 2005 ford freestar limited track off light on