Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2005 freestar anti-theft problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Default 2005 freestar anti-theft problem

My neighbours car would not start, so i had it towed to my shop and I hooked a test light to the solenoid on the starter to check for power as i was cranking and it started. The wires on the started looked rusty and I probably moved them when hooking up the test light so i cleaned the contacts. I had to disconnect the battery to do this. After hooking it back up and then trying to start it, the security light would flash rapidly when the ignition was turned on.
Then the car would not crank.
I tried locking and unlocking the doors, turning the ignition on and off and still doing the same thing.
The next thing i will try is to disconnect the battery over night and try it in the morning.
Also I got my neighbours spare key to try as well.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:59 AM

If it happens again try locking/unlocking the doors with the key fob buttons. If you still have the Security light try locking/unlocking the doors using the key inserted in the Drivers side door. If still no good try using the Security code on the Drivers side keypad if the vehicle has one.

I'm stuck for ideas if this doesn't help you.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:08 PM

forgot to mention that I did try locking and unlocking the doors using the remote and inserting the key into the drivers door. that did not help
But after disconnectin the battery over night, in the morning the car did start and everything is ok now. I think just disconnecting it for 20 mins or so may have done it, Also when I first disconnected the battery the door may have been open and the doors unlocked which may have set the alarm off. before disconnecting it the second time, i closed the doors and locked them.
thanks though

Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Default No start problem -fixed!!!

Solved the problem of my 2005 Ford Freestar motor not turning over with no apparent cause. Among other possible causes, my anti-theft system locked my motor up (or prevented my starter from engaging the motor) after my battery ran dead and had to be replaced.

The FIX is THIS - make sure the hood is closed (incase it has a sensor), close all the doors, lock the doors with the remote lock, and then start the car with the remote starter. The 1st time it tried to turn over and start but couldn't and made a loud noise. That worried me. But after that, it tried to start again (on it's own, I didn't push the remote start again) no loud noise that time, but still couldn't start when turning over. It tried on its own to start a 3rd time and stared right up, no problem. I unlocked the driver door with the key (not remote), put key in ignition and turned to on, engaged the brake to disconnect the remote, turned the van off, then started it back up with the key in the ignition and it started right up again with no problem. Working just fine since.

I hope this works for someone else who has this problem. This was the 2nd time for me AFTER I ended up replacing the motor the 1st time. So pissed that Ford cost me that money and inconvenience. This anti-theft system is seriously flawed.