Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2006 Feestar, instrument panel removed, odomter repaired. won't tutn over? Pats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:02 AM

Sent the cluster out for odometer repair, total cost with shipping there and back was $85.00. It now functions odometer is bright with correct mileage. PATS problem persists, no codes on scan tool, no DTC,s on the odometer reset button scan. Some numbers appear such as: DEA521, ECE 023, CF6119,242,300,400. AD5255? There is a loss of communication between the PCU and cluster. Tried reset with original keys, did not work. These two are intertwined via the CAN network. I am assuming the keys are O.K., I will try and see if the ignition switch transponder is functioning. Rather vexing since the cluster was simply removed and reinstalled. I will probably have to tow it to garage which has the proper scan tool for PATs and go from there. Wife getting edgy about getting it on the road, rather then drive the new Dodge Caravan.
I understand some locksmiths can do the PATS scan and reset. The local Ford dealer is someone to avoid as their pricing is astronomical for a small dealership.
It was suggested that a 45 minute PCU disconnect would reset the PATS, pulled the cables over night with no results. Going out and check the fuses and the ignitioon transponder.
Dick

Old 06-17-2016, 05:58 AM

Hi Dick,
I can appreciate your determination to get the vehicle going, however,there are limitations due to the way the system is designed and once the system (network) has been opened, which in this case was the instrument cluster, you must have the system reset with a proper scan tool . Until this is done you may be spinning your wheels trying all sorts of procedures, none of which can get the job done. As I see it, you have two options . The first is to have a capable locksmith straighten out this problem or have a dealer do it. There is no other way to do this. Sometimes the dealer can straighten this out with your vehicles keys, PCM and VIN, but not always.
Your choices include either having the vehicle towed to the tool or have the tool brought to the vehicle. The decision is yours !

Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 AM
Angry Final disposition PATS!

Moved Freestar to a local Ford dealer for the scan of PATS. I believed the problem was the ignition transponder that communicates with the key chip. Yup after $110.00 + scan it was the ignition transponder. Why? who knows, was it damaged, or a wire loosened during the removal process or did it just fail? Well, anyway the final cost is over $450.00, as they replaced the transponder a short process at best. I believe I was ripped off, but have to pick it up this A.M.. Just curious how it turned into a cash Cow for the dealership.
From my previous experience with the Ford system avoid a dealership at all cost! I was forced into using them as local repairers did have the proper scanner to do PATS work. I would suggest you check out the situation in your area for PATS work. This is a small rural area so the choices are not good. A friend who was an honest mechanic with his own shop passed away and it let a void in this area.
My prior multiple torque converter failure problem will probably result in a legal claim against another local dealership under Federal warranty statutes.
BEWARE of Ford!
DIck